Savvy

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:the jerks... as long as they aren't rapists

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

Kotaku has the full story here.

Apparently the developers thought western buyers wouldn't be into anime styled princes, so they changed them from this:

Posted Image

to this:

Posted Image

I think they look a little but creepy now...

I'm all for trying to get westerners to play more otome games, and if switching to more romance novel type art will do that then sure, why not. But do they have to get rid of the existing graphics instead of giving players a choice?

#2 litewolf

litewolf

Nyu~

• Miko
  • 2,964 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Seems I reached the point where they are too many ...

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

I think they look a little but creepy now...

I'm all for trying to get westerners to play more otome games, and if switching to more romance novel type art will do that then sure, why not. But do they have to get rid of the existing graphics instead of giving players a choice?

Those are hella creepy. The problem with 3D is that if you don't do it right coughSquareEnixcough it immediately looks bad. 2D tends to be more acceptable to the eyes even if it isn't top class.

Also, they look twilight rejects, really.

Support your bishie, join today the Save Our Bishies (SOB).

And while you're at it, Save Our Seiyuu (SOS).

Posted Image

Selling some goods and I accept offers

#3 Savvy

Savvy

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

It kind of looks like they just took pictures of dudes and airbrushed over them in photoshop until they reached the uncanny valley.

Apparently you can still play the game with anime art in english, but it's a Gree game that adds timed blockers and apparently makes you pay a ton if you want to continue. If you want to just play a straight up visual novel (in english) you're stuck with the creepy westernized guys.

#4 Devi

Devi

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Tokiya Ichinose, Toshizo Hijikata, Kazama Chikage <3

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:55 AM

This is pretty awful... I've always been against 'westernization' ever since I personally saw it at it's worse when I was a bit younger in the 90's. Changing box art to look western and changing actual in-game art is different though... if there's no option to change it to the original art, I feel like I shouldn't patronize them and give them the wrong idea. :\ It's a tough choice since I want localize otome games... but not like this.

Ψ(`◇)Ψ Devi Twitter Ψ(`◇)Ψ

#5 Savvy

Savvy

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

It's unfortunate that the studio that released it thinks that the poor sales are due to the anime graphics, rather than the awful gameplay. I really enjoyed one of their other otome games too, and it didn't mess with the gameplay or the graphics and was just a hearty helping of bishounen goodness.

#6 Sangoire

Sangoire

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Shiba (TMGS2), Sebastian Michaelis, and many more. :)

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:45 AM

I wouldn't mind it so much if they made some games with western guys, just not these because they're ugly. :)

I think it can be done, but they need some girls to sit there and tell them what's cool and what isn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 My NeoRomance