• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ebi0brain

ebi0brain

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:I don't really "fangirl" over anyone at the moment. Maybe that will change.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

I'm thinking about getting myself a subscription through cdjapan on one of these two magazines next month (though, since my japanese still sucks it'll be great reading practice* XD).
But I can't decide!
as I see them mentioned on here quite often and they look interesting...
I wondered, which do you prefer and why?

* read: I probably won't understand a thing for the next year or so.lol
Sorry for short/slow responses...

RSI sucks lol:p

my stupid blog XD

#2 Mizutama

Mizutama

Open Otaku

• Hachiyo
  • 320 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Hinoe, Benkei, Tomomori, Yunoki Azuma, Yasuaki, Francis

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:09 AM

I buy both, they both have their perks so it depends on what you prefer really. Personally I prefer Dengeki Girl's Style when it comes to shiny new artwork for games, the downside being that it only comes out bi-monthly and by then B's log already covered everything but with B's Log I prefer it for the monthly stuff and more coverage on games both otome and bl. It also used to give out desktop wallpapers but idk why they stopped doing that 8'(

Posted Image

-----
Member of:
Posted Image

#3 aznkeo

aznkeo

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:20 AM

I /used/ to prefer B's-LOG mostly because of the size (lol I forget what it's called) - and I liked the freebie stuff/huge monthly coverage it can go through. However in the long run I've preferred Girl's Style - especially after the changes B's Log went through.. However i did like how I could see BL stuff in B's Log as well, that and the fact it comes out monthly. Agreeing though completely with Mizutama ;;; whenever I get Girl's Style I'm sort of already prepared for being surprised in most of the information because of B's Log.

I do buy both, but I think if I had to choose only one I'd go with Girl's Style.

However if you're pretty sure you're not going to be able to read it now assuming you're at beginner reading level? There's no furigana, so it can be really tough for a beginner.

Posted Image
Hihara Senpai needs moar L O V E
Otome Blog - White Butterfly and I'm Selling Stuff here~

#4 ebi0brain

ebi0brain

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:I don't really "fangirl" over anyone at the moment. Maybe that will change.

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

Well, I'm currently going through Heisig''s remembering the kanji. I'm at frame 800, so I have about 1200 to go >_<...

I have a little kanji dictionary on my Nintendo DS, so figuring out words shouldn't be too much of a problem.....
however my grammar is still pretty basic, so I probably will only be able to catch the gist of stuff.... Or I might interpret something completely wrong:p

But for now I'm okay with that lol. hopefully the magazine will encourage me to read more in Japanese though... Since I tried novels but that#s still a bit to difficult.

Reading your replies, I guess, for now I'll go with girls style and maybe I'll try and get a copy of b''s log from J box or cdjapan.co.jp if I'm fast enough, just so I can compare them.

Either way, thanks for helping me make up my mind^^

I#m really sorry for any weird words/symbols/etc in this post. I#m using some speech recognition thing and sometimes it gets life of its own:/

my stupid blog XD

#5 ~Yukiruchan~

~Yukiruchan~

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:anime, manga, RPGs, otome games, Japan, Japanese
  • Who I fangirl over:Kaido Takato♥; Bishop, Rook (CZ's government side), Namikawa Daisuke XD , OKITA SOUJI♥♥♥, Onizaki Takuma

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:39 AM

Lately I'm more excited for Girl's Style than I am for B'sLog because the exciting announcements are in GS lately. If you're a fan of Takuyo = definitely choose GS.. there was almost nothing on Shinigami to Shoujo in B'sLog. If you prefer Otomate's games in general, B'sLog will have a lot more information with pretty new art / short stories every month. Anyways I support the GS decision too :D

I think playing the game itself is better Japanese practice than reading the magazine though. I also went through the Heisig remembering the kanji thing, but that didn't help me much and I forgot everything.. (I can't remember them unless I see them in a sentence as a real word) .. so I just stick to otome games / reading blogs / whatever I can find that interests me. I tried novels too, I could read them with a dictionary yet it just can't pull my attention like games with voice + BGM + pictures + effects. Probably I only know about 800-1000 kanji in total but I can get by :)

Posted Image
~夢の雫*~ Twitter

#6 Yunii

Yunii

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:hot bishies

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

I buy B's log pretty often, but still haven't tried Girl's style.
One thing I like about B's log is the variety of the content, some seiyuu interview, new Drama CDs, some special event information, some BL games here and some otome games there.

I'm interested in trying Girl's Style - Sylph though, have anyone here gotten it? How was the content?
I'm a big poster fan so I always try to buy the magazines with posters in them ^^;

#7 ebi0brain

ebi0brain

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

I was just going to post the same!
Now I'm thinking about getting Dengeki GIrl's style and Sylph...

But.... I could get one game for the money I'd spend on Sylph lol.. So, id only get it if it's really good.

Yukiru, im kind of trying to cut down my gaming time, because of RSI, so I thought magazine's would be a nice option:)
But I do agree, you learn a lot from playing games.

my stupid blog XD

#8 ~Yukiruchan~

~Yukiruchan~

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:anime, manga, RPGs, otome games, Japan, Japanese
  • Who I fangirl over:Kaido Takato♥; Bishop, Rook (CZ's government side), Namikawa Daisuke XD , OKITA SOUJI♥♥♥, Onizaki Takuma

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:07 AM

Sylph? (checks it up) hmmm a manga magazine that's starting to serialize otome titles :3 ?
*w*?? Please do review if it is good if you get it?

(Also checks up RSI) ... O_o Repetitive strain injury?? ehhhh... like working in front of the computer, it's important to stretch your body and rest your eyes ><!

Posted Image
~夢の雫*~ Twitter

#9 aznkeo

aznkeo

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:34 AM

I buy Slyph now and then...and honestly I don't think it's really worth it - unless you just have to have it month by month xD;; Also remember that this is those huge thick magazines, and I pick it up now and then just at the bookstore...but I've heard how killer those can be for shipping. So although cheap - I think shipping might just rip you over on that, unless you're in it for certain reasons. If you're just getting it for the furoku that it has now and then (and honestly the only reason I buy it or for maybe reading DGS, money to burn at the store) - then I'd just stick with buying individual issues.

honestly if you're there to read some of the manga that is from otoges I think you're better off waiting for them to release the book, since they're sorta eh anyways

Posted Image
Hihara Senpai needs moar L O V E
Otome Blog - White Butterfly and I'm Selling Stuff here~

#10 chemistry

chemistry

♥リラファン

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Interests:リラちゃん♥poupee girl
  • Who I fangirl over:quirky-voice types

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

I've only ever bought DGS (they never seem to stock B's Log at my local kino/it goes out of stock before I find it), but I used to stalk the B's Log publisher page with teasers etc, so I think I'm familiar enough with both magazines to give my input.

My opinion of DGS is that they only seem to focus on a few game companies, in 09 and 10 I used to only ever see the covers cycle through Hakuouki, Starry Sky and Haruka. They do give game teaser sections with small passages on new releases categorised by PC games/DS/PS, but that's not very meaty. I'm not sure if it's different now since I haven't followed the newer issues since the start of the year. But I do like the stylish layout and the multimedia sections with notices about new game/drama cd/concert dvd releases, and articles about relevent seiyuu events. If you buy the right issues, there are also some pretty freebies that you can get. ^^

My impression of B's Log is that it covers a wider range of games by different companies. The reason why I really wanted to buy an issue was because of their strong focus on TMGS 3 (it took up covers for a few months), compared with DGS which only had TMGS3 covered for 1 issue. But since I've never actually flipped through one I can't say much about their other sections or omake... but one minus-point for me was the BL game coverage. I'm not really into that stuff so I'm glad DGS covers it minimally.

Hope this helps in your decision ;)
Posted Image

Confusing with nonsensical verbosity>>>>
DF: ad hoc spazz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 My NeoRomance