#1 Tifa

Tifa

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Yotsuba

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:57 PM

This is a thread for games in English with otome elements. This means games where you can play as a female character, and you can have an interactive romance with one or more characters.

Additions, updates, comments, recommendations and questions are welcome!

Western RPGs

All of these are available from mainstream game stores and/or www.gog.com. The romances I've listed are for female characters (yes, female x female romances are also an option). Romances for male characters are also available. All of these games are, IMO, at least reasonably good and many are great ones. Dragon Age and Mass Effect are probably the easiest ones to start with.

Mass Effect: 1 male and 1 female romance option. A sci-fi shooter/RPG, beginner-friendly.

Mass Effect 2: 3 male romances and 1 short "just a fling" path with a female.

Mass Effect 3: upcoming. Romances confirmed.

Dragon Age: Origins: 2 male and 1 female romance options. Alistair is probably the most popular of all Bioware romances for female characters. Fairly beginner-friendly. If you like this one, I recommend trying the Baldur's Gate series next.

Dragon Age II: 3 male and 2 female romance options.

Jade Empire: 1 male and 1 female romances. A kung-fu action-RPG. An underrated game IMO.

Knights of the Old Republic: 1 male and 1 (broken) female romances. Especially recommended for Star Wars fans! Available on Steam.

Neverwinter Nights: one (fairly short and stunted) romance. Some expansion pacs and mods include romances. Valen from the Hordes of the Underdark expansion is a fan-favorite. The original NWN is one of the least popular Bioware RPGs, but many of the (free or cheap) mods and expansions are good, although old. Available on GOG.

Neverwinter Nights 2: 1 male romance. Fan-made mods expand and add romances. The original game and romances are not very popular, but fan mods improve both. Available on Steam.

Baldur's Gate: the original game doesn't have romances, but 4 male romance options are added by (professional quality) fan-made mods. The game is oldie but goldie, but I wouldn't recommend playing it without fan mods. For romances, you'll need to download the NPC mod and Gavin mod. For more info on mods, see here. Available on GOG.

Baldur's Gate 2: 1 male romance, generally thought to be the worst Bioware romance option. Fan-made mods add more romance content than I can bother to count. This game is generally thought to be the best Bioware game/RPG of all time, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to beginners. If you like this one, try the Icewind Dale series next. Available on GOG.

Icewind Dale: no romances in the original game, but a fan-made mod adds several romance options. Available on GOG.

Icewind Dale 2: same as above.

Japanese RPGs

Avalon Code: I haven't played this one. Can anyone fill in?

Persona 3 Portable: a great portable version of a great game.

In some Harvest Moon games you can play as a female character and romance male characters. Does anyone know more about these?

#2 caddyalan

caddyalan

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Diana Caprice

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:17 AM

I'm not an expert on the Harvest Moon series. But from what I've read, the ones which include GxB relationships are...

* More Friends of Mineral Town (GBA)
* Another Wonderful Life (Gamecube)
* Magical Melody (Gamecube, but no GxB option in the Wii port)
* Boy & Girl (PSP, a port/collection of the PS1 game Back to Nature and the previously untranslated PS1 game Harvest Moon for Girls)
* DS Cute
* Island of Happiness (DS)
* Sunshine Islands (DS)
* Grand Bazaar (DS)
* Tree of Tranquility (Wii)
* Animal Parade (Wii)

A Tale of Two Towns is slated for English release on DS and 3DS around September 2011. Both versions will probably include GxB romance options.

= Other video games with girl x boy pairings =

In most of The Sims games, it's possible to pair the main character with a man or a woman. I'm sure someone else is more knowledgeable about this series than I am...

In the largely forgotten PSP game Brooktown High, the player can choose a girl as a main character, and pair her with a guy.

And I think at least one other person on this forum knows the mid-90s computer game McKenzie and Co. It includes some GxB elements.

Finally, if you like BxG pairings, there's a number of general video games in English with romance elements. Yes, some of them are worksafe. And if you look around, you can find a few with BxB and GxG pairings.

Edited by caddyalan, 23 July 2011 - 06:19 AM.

#3 topari

topari

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Creepy pasta.
  • Who I fangirl over:too many minor characters to keep track of

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:06 AM

In most of The Sims games, it's possible to pair the main character with a man or a woman. I'm sure someone else is more knowledgeable about this series than I am...

Ha ha, yeah. And if you play your cards well, you can make a reverse-harem to yourself. I think.

#4 Mizutama

Mizutama

Open Otaku

• Hachiyo
  • 320 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Hinoe, Benkei, Tomomori, Yunoki Azuma, Yasuaki, Francis

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:26 PM

There's Star Ocean 2 where you can pretty much pair any character with any character you want, including who you choose to play as between the male protagonist (Claude) and the female protagonist (Rena) in the beginning, I guess.

There's Fate/Extra which Aksys is about to translate into English and will be out in November this year. A sequel/alternate story game is also being produced right now. You can go for any of your servants as a female protagonist, 2 of them are girls, 1 of them is a guy. Although Archer's route really really is subtle in the 'romance', while Saber and Caster are pretty vocal about voicing their love for the protagonist.

There's also Fable 3 with Elliot and whatsherface but Fable 'romances' really aren't as good as the Bioware game romances and they pretty much revert to the generic NPC once you finish their sidestory quest thing.

Posted Image

-----
Member of:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 My NeoRomance