#121 Skyrius

Skyrius

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Tsukimori, Hihara

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

Well, to be fair, Ben isn't in charge of translations, just editing. As for whether or not the English version of Hakuouki was necessarily well researched game aimed at girls, well I don't get that feeling. Which is why I'm of the mindset that Japanese Hakuoki and English Hakuoki really play like two different games, so the way I view them is from the viewpoint of two different games almost.

THAT BEING SAID, I forced one of my guy friends to be a guinea pig for an experiment with some interesting results. It seemed like a lot of people were complaining about the audience Aksys seemed to be aiming for with their English localization. So my friend is in my advanced Japanese language class and I wanted him to play the Japanese version of Hakuoki and compare it with the English version from a guy's point of view. After much complaining and jabs, he did so. It's interesting since his issue with the Japanese versions were almost the same as mine (I guess since I'm a tomboy then?), mainly about Chizuru's empty-headedness and the abrupt jumping of plot and character development at some points. His complaints about the English version were practically the same Adrienne or litewolf in that the feel of the game got turned on it's head. That being said, oddly enough, from a standpoint of purely which game was more fun to play, he actually chose the English version.

We're both of the agreement that comparing the two games is the equivalent of a trainwreck, but it seems like what Aksys did for the English version of Hakouki does indeed appeal more to guys AND western gamers (including girls, like I mentioned in my previous post). So as to whether or not that was the right decision, I'm not entirely sure. But the only thing I know is that it didn't ruin the game for me. I think for a lot of pure otome gamers, you'll be much more picky about things like this. I'm definitely an RPG, action-adventure type gamer first and an otome gamer second, so maybe that's why I didn't have as much of a problem with it.

I guess from a purely commercial standpoint, the fact that what they've done seems to appeal more to western gamers means that it's not necessarily a bad thing. If they're looking to sell to more than just the niche audience, I can't blame them. What it would boil down to in that case is which audience has more buyers, but it's a risk to isolate the original otome gamer audience as well. There's no really nice answer to that.

#122 tam-timmy-toe

tam-timmy-toe

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Ace, you are always gonna be in my heart (itsumo) T-T (Those who are dead are not dead; just living in my head.... >:D)

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:40 AM

whoa this is i think really the most lively thread in this forum that i've ever seen.

i'm not amused with the unprofessional part of the game what with its glaring grammatical mistakes and whatnot (idc if it's a translation or wtvr, the bare minimum for any kind of commercial game is grammar unless you're purposefully trying to create an environment/subculture/character/etc.). as to the translation differences, i can't say i'm pleased with it exactly in terms of the overall roughening of the male chars' images, but i'm ok with this chizuru. so for me this aspect to the translation balances itself out.

now what i'm the most interested in is how the ones from askys who actually worked on this game feels about it (and their take on the translation of it etc) i mean i've seen their blurb about how chizuru was pretty sucky as a person in the jap original so they switched it up and somebody mentioned some ben guy here? *has not read all of the comments xD* but i think it'd be interesting to see their complete view of this game as well as their reaction to the reactions of the fans
Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#123 mariko85

mariko85

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:im a big fan of anime, otome games, manga books, writing, drawing and listening to japanese music
  • Who I fangirl over:Azuma Yunoki, Kaname Kuran, Megane Katsuya, Hideaki Nakajima, Seizh. Shiki from togainu no chi and many others!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:56 AM

As I said in a early post that the only problems I had with the english version of Hakuouki was all the swearing in it. I still cant belive how much Hijikata swore. The other problem I had with it was some of the words which was mispelled or missing a word. Thats the only problem I had with the game. Besides those two things I actually enjoyed playing the game in english. It was kinda strange when I was first playing it since I first played it in japanese but I got used to it. I really do think they made a wise choice of bringing it over to America. Heh im now kinda hoping they will bring Hiiro no Kakera over here.

#124 Aidou Yuukihara

Aidou Yuukihara

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:bishie
  • Who I fangirl over:Kaji Aoi, Serizawa Mutsumi, Hihara Kazuki, Kiriya Etou, Shimizu Keiichi, Kuran Kaname, Zala Athrun, JunJun, aidou Hanabusa, and other bishies!!!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:49 AM

I haven't played the japanese version. I must agree about ''bark'' part and the way they made our Shinsengumi like a gangster. ah, and they left some japanese words untranslated.

but for Chizuru, She's not that annoying like what I've thought and watched from the anime,

6q8gek2.jpg

#125 Jasmin

Jasmin

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Anime. Manga. Graphics

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

The ENG is alright, every now and I laugh cause all the swearing. I am happy that they brought the game over here, hopefully they'll bring out more otome games over here -PLEASELETITBEHEARTNOKUNINOAICE- XD XD XD

#126 hamano

hamano

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:shiba katsumi!!, yatsuaki

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

just finished saito's route, I didn't care much about the swearing but I don't like their translation because some part which should feel romance but when they translate it, it haven't romance at all.
anyway, I still like it though because I'm not good in Japanese. I just hope they improve their translate technic and skill.

#127 Savvy

Savvy

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:the jerks... as long as they aren't rapists

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:31 AM

Aksys does more than just translate. They are a localization company. Some of the localization tweaks they made - for instance Chizuru - I felt were right. She's still not the brightest, but my urge to facepalm every time she speaks is considerably less.

I don't feel like they "butchered" anything or were unprofessional. It's far from perfect (some typos, the font choice, etc.) but overall, I honestly think they did a good job in preserving the original story and environment while still being natural to read, and that's what I think is most important for a localization company.

I think most people are just perturbed by the language? It wasn't a huge issue to me personally since most of the time, it didn't alter the meaning behind what they wanted to convey.

***The above thoughts do NOT apply to Hijikata... He's a different story altogether, and I can't really defend Aksys where he's concerned, haha. Perhaps they could have added in a swear filter or something. It would take some extra work, but they could avoid potentially offending some fans.

This pretty much sums up my own thoughts as well. Localization is different from translation, and most studios try to take under consideration the cultural differences of the target country. I can't imagine Chizuru being even more of a doormat would have garnered a positive reputation for the game in the west.

I never played the Japanese version though, so the only impression I have of Hijikata is that he's a raging asshole. Did they actually change his characterization for the english version was it just the coarse language that made him more unrefined?

#128 litewolf

litewolf

Nyu~

• Miko
  • 2,964 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Seems I reached the point where they are too many ...

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

I never played the Japanese version though, so the only impression I have of Hijikata is that he's a raging asshole. Did they actually change his characterization for the english version was it just the coarse language that made him more unrefined?

He wasn't exactly mister nice, but I didn't have problems with him in the Japanese version. But I have an incredible low tollerance to reading swears, that's why the screenshots of the English version were enough to turn me off.

Support your bishie, join today the Save Our Bishies (SOB).

And while you're at it, Save Our Seiyuu (SOS).

Posted Image

Selling some goods and I accept offers

#129 ayla

ayla

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Video games, anime, manga, music, making plushies, writing, a good story, trying new foods, procrastinating, stuff like Romance of the Three Kingdoms XD
  • Who I fangirl over:Too many!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Just saw Aksys post up news for a 3DS Hakuouki game. Does anyone know if that's just the 3DS version of the same game? Or is there a tiny possibility that it's Zuisouroku?

#130 litewolf

litewolf

Nyu~

• Miko
  • 2,964 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Seems I reached the point where they are too many ...

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

Same game, sorry to break your hopes. Only the PS3 version has both games.

Support your bishie, join today the Save Our Bishies (SOB).

And while you're at it, Save Our Seiyuu (SOS).

Posted Image

Selling some goods and I accept offers

#131 nyx

nyx

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Kahoko...?

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

wow i'm really am late for this news...i just went to a game store and i was surprised to see this was translated. of course i was happy but then again i didn't even play the jap one...i guess the story is not my type of thing. i hope they translate the games that i like in the future.
Aide-toi et le Ciel t'aidera

#132 Roses4Aria

Roses4Aria

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, video gaming--especially otome games!--anime, and Japanese culture.
  • Who I fangirl over:Eisen, Benkei, Mahiro

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

My jaw hit the floor with this news.  Never thought we'd see the PS3 version over here!

http://www.siliconer...-playstation-3/

#133 celestite

celestite

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Location:A country where we can't found any otome games in Store T____T
  • Interests:Read manga wit a lot of bishie pics...
    Playing otome game and hear some music...
    And the last is playing with my friends!
  • Who I fangirl over:too much! I cant count~

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:54 AM

My jaw hit the floor with this news.  Never thought we'd see the PS3 version over here!

http://www.siliconer...-playstation-3/

Wow, I didn't expect they will bringing english hakuoki to PS3 too.

Thanks for the info, will check it out when it was released since its has SSL Hakuoki short story.

(will be great if they include the whole SSL hakouki game in PS3 version too, since i don't have ps vita)

#134 Savvy

Savvy

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:the jerks... as long as they aren't rapists

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:34 AM

How extensive is the extra content in the PS3 game? Is it enough to make purchasing the game worthwhile?

#135 Roses4Aria

Roses4Aria

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, video gaming--especially otome games!--anime, and Japanese culture.

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

I haven't ever played this version myself, but I believe someone on the forums said there is an extra 20 to 30 minutes of content.  (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)  This includes the original Hakuoki game and the Zuisouroku fandisk as well as the SSL omake.

#136 Roses4Aria

Roses4Aria

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:05 AM

I posted this on another thread, but I thought I'd post it here too.  Here's a look at the Hakuoki PS3 Limited Edition and what comes with it.

http://www.siliconer...ori-love-charm/

#137 MidnightRain

MidnightRain

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Korean Dramas, RPGs, Visual Novels, Historical Fiction
  • Who I fangirl over:Orihime Inoue

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:24 AM

How extensive is the extra content in the PS3 game? Is it enough to make purchasing the game worthwhile?

I think it is worth it to buy Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi because the fandisc Hakuouki Zuisouroku is included. 

I haven't ever played this version myself, but I believe someone on the forums said there is an extra 20 to 30 minutes of content.  (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)  This includes the original Hakuoki game and the Zuisouroku fandisk as well as the SSL omake.

Aksys said the extra content is about 20 hours.

Source

#138 Roses4Aria

Roses4Aria

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

Thanks.  Yep, there's a huge difference between 20 minutes and 20 hours, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 My NeoRomance