#21 Cloudy

Cloudy

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Shitara Seiji

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:43 AM

And I hope they don't decide to dub it either. I LOVED the voices in the original game (^▽^)

Apparently there will only be Japanese dub and no English dub so they're keeping the original voice acting and that only. It's a good thing seeing as how I don't think I want to hear an English dub...

#22 Skyrius

Skyrius

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Tsukimori, Hihara

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:44 AM

You have to realize that an English dub takes more time and money, which isn't always the most wise move for niche games (Agarest is a good example of that).

Anyways, the con is finally over, my money is all gone, and I've finally updated the first post with all the extra information I've scrounged up, so make sure to take a look.

#23 litewolf

litewolf

Nyu~

• Miko
  • 2,964 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Seems I reached the point where they are too many ...

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:22 AM

Looks you had fun there ^^ Only one small request: can you please move the Starry Sky portion to [utl=http://forum.my-neoromance.com/index.php?/topic/2607-starry-sky-not-yet-confirmed-for-translation/]this thread[/url]? This will be the threat for English Hakuoki so I'd like the information to be properly split.

Also thanks for the SCEA information, it was an interesting read.

Support your bishie, join today the Save Our Bishies (SOB).

And while you're at it, Save Our Seiyuu (SOS).

Posted Image

Selling some goods and I accept offers

#24 Skyrius

Skyrius

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

Got it.

Also, another thing for those of you worried about the English translation, I personally think Aksys does a great job with translations. Blazblue and Argarest were both well done

#25 caddyalan

caddyalan

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Diana Caprice

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:28 AM

An article on Siliconera from July 5 confirms that Aksys' translated version of Hakuouki will not include dubbed dialogue. It's expensive and risky to publish even a small number of boxed copies... so this decision will benefit the publisher.

Also, Aksys is now asking fans what sort of bonus they would want in a limited edition copy. Be sure to fill out this new survey at http://www.aksysgame...d=56624&lang=en

#26 ~Yukiruchan~

~Yukiruchan~

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:anime, manga, RPGs, otome games, Japan, Japanese
  • Who I fangirl over:Kaido Takato♥; Bishop, Rook (CZ's government side), Namikawa Daisuke XD , OKITA SOUJI♥♥♥, Onizaki Takuma

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:45 AM

Filled in the survey!
I asked them to make an information booklet with historical facts / timeline / explanations and translations of short stories / interesting stuff. That would be really worth getting compared to just artbooks which you can get the Japanese version or accessories which you'd much rather choose the stuff of the guy you like anyway.

I might get the LE for this... but wait... I seriously want a PS3 version *cannot resist big HD with blinks anymore* I wish they would include a DLC that turns the Japanese text in the PS3 version into English. That should be possible, right?

Posted Image
~夢の雫*~ Twitter

#27 Hazuki

Hazuki

Veteran Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:I can't choose anymore since otome games are getting more popular LOL

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:13 AM

Filled in the survey!
I asked them to make an information booklet with historical facts / timeline / explanations and translations of short stories / interesting stuff. That would be really worth getting compared to just artbooks which you can get the Japanese version or accessories which you'd much rather choose the stuff of the guy you like anyway.

I might get the LE for this... but wait... I seriously want a PS3 version *cannot resist big HD with blinks anymore* I wish they would include a DLC that turns the Japanese text in the PS3 version into English. That should be possible, right?

What you suggest is good...but I have a hunch that terms and events will be explained in the game because even the original one had it's own dictionary about people, terms, events, and locations.

The short stories are good choice. Well, in the PSP version it has those side stories...I guess it would be nice to translate something from the magazines too though...

I asked to provide drama cds that came with special orders from certain stores like Animate, messe, and amiami. I also asked them to translate 1 manga anthology if it's possible. I bet the fans would like that.

I'm selling stuff so if you're interested please take a look!

If you want to find more random blabbings of otome games you can look at my livejournal if you want~
I moved...it's called Peaceful Grace.
I've started a new blog at wordpress it's called Reaching Towards You since my LJ is full of my tweets.
If you want to look at pictures you can look at my tumblr nothing special...

The Icon Avatar is from Neskaya.net

#28 Roses4Aria

Roses4Aria

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, video gaming--especially otome games!--anime, and Japanese culture.
  • Who I fangirl over:Eisen, Benkei, Mahiro

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

For anyone who is interested, Siliconera has posted part one of an interview with Aksys that answers some of the questions as to why they chose Hakuoki and the PSP. Part two of the interview is supposed to be up sometime today.

They mention that Hakuoki is definitely a test to see how well otome games can do over here and sound interested in the possibility of bringing over more should it be successful, so I hope everyone will support Aksys and Hakuoki when it comes out. :)

#29 caddyalan

caddyalan

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Diana Caprice

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:16 AM

For anyone who is interested, Siliconera has posted part one of an interview with Aksys that answers some of the questions as to why they chose Hakuoki and the PSP. Part two of the interview is supposed to be up sometime today.

I found part one of the interview at http://www.siliconer...ossom-overseas/ , and part two at http://www.siliconer...-aksys-heats-up . I have quite a bit to say about part one...

First, the Aksys staff stated that Hakuouki was chosen for its "mature themes." No further explanation was provided. Was the company looking for a serious story, rather than a cute/slice of life story? I don't know.

Second, they said their localization choice "...is like a litmus test to see if we want to pursue more otome games or to even see if they have a market here." Interesting. I know there's fans who are interested. And I know that Winter Wolves and Hanako Games have experienced success by selling GxB games on computers for paid download. But this is the first attempt to sell an otome game in English on a console, and it's one which doesn't have complex gameplay.

Finally, they mentioned that Hakouki could be one of the last PSP games sold in English, and they want to release a quality product near the end of the console's life. But I'm still awfully worried. I don't know if are there enough fans who will buy a PSP game, rather than pirate it. And keep in mind that NISA had very little success selling Sakura Wars 5 on the PS2 near the end of that console's life.

#30 litewolf

litewolf

Nyu~

• Miko
  • 2,964 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:43 AM

I found part one of the interview at http://www.siliconer...ossom-overseas/ , and part two at http://www.siliconer...-aksys-heats-up . I have quite a bit to say about part one...

First, the Aksys staff stated that Hakuouki was chosen for its "mature themes." No further explanation was provided. Was the company looking for a serious story, rather than a cute/slice of life story? I don't know.

I think the right answer is the one they said later about it being popular in Japan.

Second, they said their localization choice "...is like a litmus test to see if we want to pursue more otome games or to even see if they have a market here." Interesting. I know there's fans who are interested. And I know that Winter Wolves and Hanako Games have experienced success by selling GxB games on computers for paid download. But this is the first attempt to sell an otome game in English on a console, and it's one which doesn't have complex gameplay.

Finally, they mentioned that Hakouki could be one of the last PSP games sold in English, and they want to release a quality product near the end of the console's life. But I'm still awfully worried. I don't know if are there enough fans who will buy a PSP game, rather than pirate it. And keep in mind that NISA had very little success selling Sakura Wars 5 on the PS2 near the end of that console's life.

I repeat myself from another topic, but while WW and hanako are successfull in what they do, their sales aren't anywhere close to what a console company need to just break even (based on a post from WW, don't know if Hanako sells more digits. But to explain this further, while WW earns from games selling less than 1k, Mangagamer needs 1k to simply break even on a voiceless game. Console games requires the ESRB, and while the fee varies a bit, we are easily talking of 2,500$ just for that). So Aksys will need to work a lot to spread out and catch new potential players.

Sakura Wars 5 came out when the PS3 was already out, lot of people traded their old ps2 in exchange of a ps3 and with the *smart* move of making the ps3 not backward compatible, I can hardly see anyone buying again an old console for just one game. If Aksys manages to release the game before the Vita is out, they should stand better chances.
This of course, without considering the piracy factor.

Posted Image

#31 Skyrius

Skyrius

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:27 AM

Filled in the survey!

It's mentioned in the first post, but visual novel games are not allowed on the PS3 in North America. I wish to god they would be though. There goes all my hopes for an HD Umineko release *cries*

Likewise, about the historical facts, the game isn't detail heavy *has played it*, but skimming through the late shogunate period on wikipedia is more that enough. Better yet, go read manga set in that era XD You don't even need to know the specifics, just the people.

Oh oh, I can answer that one *raises hand* XP I got to talk to....shoot, mind drawing a blank on names, but the girl in charge of marketing, after the panel. More specifically, "slice of life" of games themselves don't have much of a market in the NA, but historical dramas do have precedents. Therefore, it's always better to go with the better established ground (even though it's severely skewed, but since when has historical accuracy and video games ever gone hand in hand? XD) Likewise, from personal experience as well, many otome games from Otomate aren't exactly........story oriented, how should I say. Quite honestly, a lot of it is feel good fluff, but not necessarily very substantial. They have good games, but their story department isn't always the best :S

Oh and, I rather liked Hakuouki's soundtrack (I don't like too many VN soundtracks, so that's a nice point) so I voted for a CD :P

PS: That second part of the interview just made me love Aksys so much more......and also choke on my milk laughing.

#32 Savvy

Savvy

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:the jerks... as long as they aren't rapists

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:53 PM

To chose to release such a niche game on the PSP to make it feel good about itself before it dies doesn't seem like a very good business strategy. Considering it's official that how well this game does will determine whether we get more otome games or not, I really hope there are other factors they aren't talking about.

And the second part of that interview was hilarious. The translating guys saying his heart wasn't ready for one of the characters is comedy gold.

#33 Skyrius

Skyrius

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:37 AM

It's ironic since I actually have more games than ever on my PSP towards the end if its life. At the beginning SCEA had a lot more restrictions so a lot of the games I wanted to come over didn't. But now they don't seem to care anymore XD

#34 Roses4Aria

Roses4Aria

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, video gaming--especially otome games!--anime, and Japanese culture.
  • Who I fangirl over:Eisen, Benkei, Mahiro

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:22 PM

I'm trying not to worry too much about the PSP angle and am trusting that Aksys knows what they're doing. 999 was a very niche title that nobody thought would sell, but I think it did fairly well for them. Of course, I realize that was different as it was a DS title and a different genre, but if they follow the same marketing/promotional strategy then I would think Hakuoki stands a fair chance. I doubt they expect it to be a bestselling hit (Though it would be nice if it surprised everyone and turned out that way!) but I think they'll consider it a successful experiment if it manages to achieve at least the same modest success as 999. With the amount of otome games that have been ported to PSP as opposed to the DS in Japan, I'm afraid the PSP/Vita is probably our best bet if we hope to get any more otome games in the future.

In the end, it all boils down to otome fans being willing to put their money where their mouths are and show their support by purchasing it. :)

#35 Skyrius

Skyrius

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:40 PM

Another thing you have to realize, go to Otomate's website and check out their games. There's maybe 3 or 4 decent DS ports and a crapload more PSP. The PSP in general has more space, which is convenient if you want to carry the voices over. The UMD also retains higher quality sound and the PSP speakers are better than the DS. Considering that a big part of modern visual novels are often the voice actors *cough*shouldbestory*cough* being able to retain most of them often takes precedence when companies deal with porting games.

Alternative for people who don't have PSP, find a friend who has one and borrow it XD That's what I used to do until I got mine.

#36 litewolf

litewolf

Nyu~

• Miko
  • 2,964 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

Another thing you have to realize, go to Otomate's website and check out their games. There's maybe 3 or 4 decent DS ports and a crapload more PSP. The PSP in general has more space, which is convenient if you want to carry the voices over. The UMD also retains higher quality sound and the PSP speakers are better than the DS. Considering that a big part of modern visual novels are often the voice actors *cough*shouldbestory*cough* being able to retain most of them often takes precedence when companies deal with porting games.

Alternative for people who don't have PSP, find a friend who has one and borrow it XD That's what I used to do until I got mine.

That's because PSP is HOT in Japan, whereas in the states the market have really big problems surviving, that's why people are worried. Though I'm sure some *very nice gentleman* would rather see it on DS since that's where all the "girly games" are lol

Posted Image

#37 Savvy

Savvy

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:50 AM

I also like to believe that Aksys knows what they're doing, but their response as to why they chose the PSP didn't really show that... They're still a business though, and doing all right for themselves, so I figure one of the primary factors is something they simply can't talk about. Despite a lot of those interview questions being business related, a lot of fans simply don't want to hear about business, so a "Hooray PSP" response might just sound better.

I do hope though, that if otome games continue to be released in America after Hakuoki, that it's not on the Vita. Buying a used PSP cheap on ebay is one thing, but a brand new console that is unlikely to be sold for less than $250 for a while after launch is something else. I'd rather they pull what Persona 4 on the PS2 did after the PS3 was released and just cater to that niche. It's not like most otome games need all that extra horsepower anyway.

#38 Tifa

Tifa

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Yotsuba

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

I'm sure Aksys isn't the only one checking the success of this game. If Hakuouki sells well enough, Aksys is sure to at least try to bring more otome games in English, and other companies might do the same. If it fails, who knows when someone will have the guts to bring over another otome game.

Small publishers like Aksys depend more on word-of-mouth than advertising, and I think if otome fans would so decide, together we could really add to the visibility of this game. Active threads on NeoGaf and Penny Arcade forums and lots of positive reviews on Amazon would probably do a wold of good. I was wondering, should we start a little campaign going to support the English release of Hakuouki? Maybe keep a list of sites where you can add a review and forum threads that need bumping etc.

#39 Savvy

Savvy

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:04 AM

I'm sure Aksys isn't the only one checking the success of this game. If Hakuouki sells well enough, Aksys is sure to at least try to bring more otome games in English, and other companies might do the same. If it fails, who knows when someone will have the guts to bring over another otome game.

Small publishers like Aksys depend more on word-of-mouth than advertising, and I think if otome fans would so decide, together we could really add to the visibility of this game. Active threads on NeoGaf and Penny Arcade forums and lots of positive reviews on Amazon would probably do a wold of good. I was wondering, should we start a little campaign going to support the English release of Hakuouki? Maybe keep a list of sites where you can add a review and forum threads that need bumping etc.

I think my ultimate hope is that Hakuoki does well enough for Koei to see the potential for a NeoRomance series in English, or likewise, for Konami to give Tokimeki Girl's Side a try. But who knows how well it would have to sell for that to happen.

I think a mini campaign closer to the release date, when there actually is a release date, would be a good idea to try out. I think hitting up manga forums would help a lot too, since a lot of otaku ladies who may not frequent game sites would be interested in the game but not know about it.

#40 Tifa

Tifa

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Yotsuba

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:55 PM

I think my ultimate hope is that Hakuoki does well enough for Koei to see the potential for a NeoRomance series in English, or likewise, for Konami to give Tokimeki Girl's Side a try.

You took the words out of my mouth! We can always hope...

I think a mini campaign closer to the release date, when there actually is a release date, would be a good idea to try out. I think hitting up manga forums would help a lot too, since a lot of otaku ladies who may not frequent game sites would be interested in the game but not know about it.

Yes, it would probably be best to start after the Christmas rush, unless the release date turns up to be very early next year (I'd guess they'd try to get it out for Valentine's day).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 My NeoRomance