IPBoard Styles©Fisana

Photo

Horror in your otome games

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Horror in your otome games (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Y/N

1. YES (14 votes [63.64%])

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

2. NO (8 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 litewolf

litewolf

Nyu~

• Miko
  • 2,964 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Seems I reached the point where they are too many ...

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

Inspired by this and won't hide

Definition of horror
Definition of thriller
I've put those two definitions because I often see that whenever there's some blood or an unnatural being people judge things as horror.

So what is your take on it?

For me, horror is a big no be it books or movies. Thriller/mistery on the other hand is great, we need more of those. oh kurayami why you on ds

Support your bishie, join today the Save Our Bishies (SOB).

And while you're at it, Save Our Seiyuu (SOS).

Posted Image

Selling some goods and I accept offers

#2 Hazuki

Hazuki

Veteran Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:I can't choose anymore since otome games are getting more popular LOL

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:20 AM

I voted for no because horror is like...KY for the whole otome game. ^^;
I don't mind thriller though. - Thriller helps build the bond between the heroine and the guy(s) LOL Then save up to buy a DS and the game, it should be at a pretty good price now considering 3DS LOL *prepares to get shot*

I'm selling stuff so if you're interested please take a look!

If you want to find more random blabbings of otome games you can look at my livejournal if you want~
I moved...it's called Peaceful Grace.
I've started a new blog at wordpress it's called Reaching Towards You since my LJ is full of my tweets.
If you want to look at pictures you can look at my tumblr nothing special...

The Icon Avatar is from Neskaya.net

#3 sheepishsheep

sheepishsheep

一生直兄さん押し

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • Interests:Piano, reading manga, gaming, fangaying/fangirling blah blah... Baa baa
  • Who I fangirl over:教えるわけなし(^_^)

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:35 PM

HORROR IN OTOME GAMES IS BRILLIANT 8D THRILLER LIKE KURAYAMI ACTUALLY SCARES ME MORE BECAUSE IT JUST KEEPS ME STRUNG UP LALALA~
yes I know I'm odd because it's the opposite for most and sorry about caps-lock hurhurhur
血を吐くように、必死にフルコンを追いかけたから...
Spoiler

- Supporter of Save Our Bishies and Save Our Seiyuu -
˜†Seiyuu of the day/ week/ month/ year: Nao-nii˜†

#4 Kotori

Kotori

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:......I fangirl over a lot of characters. Um... to name a few... Quatre Reebaba Winner, China, Howl, Zero, Kaname, Fumi Ropongi, Gauche Suede just to name a few.

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:31 PM

I don't mind either in my games but I lean moreso towards the thriller then the horror. It's just more captivating in my mind haha...

#5 litewolf

litewolf

Nyu~

• Miko
  • 2,964 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Seems I reached the point where they are too many ...

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:14 PM

@Hazuki: I do own a DS, but my attention span on it is so low ^^;;; looks at her TMGS games collecting dust But I decided to try again and ordered the game, since I should really like it.

@all those voting and not posting: don't be afraid come and share with us why you voted so!

@kotori $ sheep: how would you think a game like that? My only experience with horror was Lovecraft and I can only imagine games with endings like:
-total desperation
-everyone dies
-happiness is a lie

lol

Support your bishie, join today the Save Our Bishies (SOB).

And while you're at it, Save Our Seiyuu (SOS).

Posted Image

Selling some goods and I accept offers

#6 Mizutama

Mizutama

Open Otaku

• Hachiyo
  • 320 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Hinoe, Benkei, Tomomori, Yunoki Azuma, Yasuaki, Francis

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

I LIKE BOTH HORROR AND THRILLER, it's one of the reasons why I like NitroPlus and Innocent Grey games besides their pretty art and I totally want to see Otome Game companies do it in a game outside Kurayamiwhatsit one day (sobs my attention span for DS games fail hard) and I'm still semi hoping that one day nitroplus will make a real otome game franchise rather than just bl games from nitro chiral.

Posted Image

-----
Member of:
Posted Image

#7 sheepishsheep

sheepishsheep

一生直兄さん押し

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • Interests:Piano, reading manga, gaming, fangaying/fangirling blah blah... Baa baa
  • Who I fangirl over:教えるわけなし(^_^)

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

Umm okay wolf, technically, the games I had in mind weren't otome-otome but more like 女性向けゲーム haha. In short BL games, like those Mizutama mentioned from NitroPlus, stuff like Sweet Pool. Togainu no Chi had so much blood it kind of got blah though XD But both games were a bit "in-your-mind" as well so it wasn't just physical gore that made it so horror-y.
血を吐くように、必死にフルコンを追いかけたから...
Spoiler

- Supporter of Save Our Bishies and Save Our Seiyuu -
˜†Seiyuu of the day/ week/ month/ year: Nao-nii˜†

#8 kuribo

kuribo

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:XD

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:50 PM

I don't like BL games, but my friend tells me that Nitroplus does really good, dark stories. She also showed me a bad end cg in one of Keisuke's route for Togainu no Chi lolol, and I always hoped the company would write an otome game! In other words, I don't mind horror at all xD

I always wondered why BL games tend to have darker and more serious stories compared to otome games when they are both targeted for females?
Please click me! :3

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 Savvy

Savvy

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:the jerks... as long as they aren't rapists

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:10 AM

Does anyone not like the thriller genre? lol

I have a very uneasy relationship with horror in my games, in that I seriously can't take it. I just get so freaked out that I have to stop playing, and if I'm lucky, my hubby will finish the game for me. Since I'm the big power gamer between us that almost never happens. But some of my favorite games ever (Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill 2, Eternal Darkness) are horror games, so that I sometimes put myself through terrifying torture to finish a game myself. IT MAKES NO SENSE.

For an otome game, I think the type of game would make a big difference. I could tackle a visual novel no problem (maybe), though extra creepy CGs would provide for some scary aftershock. In horror movies it always comes down to the one survivor, so I imagine in an otome game all the guys except the one you chose early on would die. Certainly a lot darker than most otome games, and you'll definitely have to work for your happy ending, but the whole OUR LOVE IS SO STRONG WE CAN OVERCOME DEATH AND BAD GUYS idea can make for an addictive and compelling story.

#10 Satomi

Satomi

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Manga, anime, and studying Japanese
  • Who I fangirl over:Masaharu Niou, Seiichi Yukimura, Kuranosuke Shiraishi, Chiaki Tohgane, Arata Mizushima, Kirya Etou, Akihiro Kira, Nightmare, the Jokers, and some others

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:31 PM

I don't like either. I prefer my otome games to have a light story, or a dramatic one, but nothing too dark. So no horror. And I prefer to stay away from anything supernatural, so I wouldn't even think about playing a thriller game.

#11 Murasaki

Murasaki

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Watching anime, reading shoujo manga, playing otome game, reading, sketching, and listening to music
  • Who I fangirl over:My lovely potentially do-M otoko~

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:09 AM

A Yes for me, horror is good and interesting (only can't handle movies). What came to my mind first was Diary, the yandere game :). Yandere is a major type in horror games, I think, especially (romance) visual novels.
~*~ Love from Murasaki ~*~

#12 chemistry

chemistry

♥リラファン

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Interests:リラちゃん♥poupee girl
  • Who I fangirl over:quirky-voice types

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

I evened out the vote! ^^

I can't take horror in any form, especially if it's in movies, unless I watch without sound (the sound enhances the experience so much XD). And knowing my type of personality (good memory for random stuff like this, keeps thinking about things, easily influenced visually), the horror genre is just another way to keep me awake at night and increase my paranoia when looking into the toilet mirror in the dark at night. Even a second-hand recount of Nightmare on Elm Street by a friend who is a major horror fan made me a bit edgy for a few nights... or a week... OTL

Honestly I've never played a horror-esque otome game before due to all the above reasons (PREVENTATIVE MEASURES HAVE BEEN TAKEN ;A;), and if more come out I'll really avoid them. Although I wouldn't mind thriller-types...
Posted Image

Confusing with nonsensical verbosity>>>>
DF: ad hoc spazz

#13 nozmo

nozmo

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Kinose Azusa, Kazama Chikage, Saariyah

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:51 AM

(ahahaaa i'm new to the forums hello ;__; )

A-anyways, I just wanted to say that I looooved Kurayami on the DS. And the thing is, I'm very easily freaked out so playing Kurayami was quite the trip for me (not to mention I PLAYED IT AT NIGHT AAAAAH;; bad idea!!)
However, I found that the thriller element really spiced up the gameplay. It suddenly wasn't just a typical otome but something much more... compelling? And twisted? I loved it ahahaha. IDK, sometimes the same old stories just gets stale to me so playing something like Kurayami was really refreshing. I definitely want to see something like it again.

#14 ~Yukiruchan~

~Yukiruchan~

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:anime, manga, RPGs, otome games, Japan, Japanese
  • Who I fangirl over:Kaido Takato♥; Bishop, Rook (CZ's government side), Namikawa Daisuke XD , OKITA SOUJI♥♥♥, Onizaki Takuma

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

Voted for NO. Especially since that website was talking about real horror like zombies, blood, mutants and stuff = EW.
Blood is OK but horror level is not really. If I wanted horror, there's plenty of horror games in the market no need to mix with otome.

I like thrillers though.

Posted Image
~夢の雫*~ Twitter

#15 ebi0brain

ebi0brain

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:I don't really "fangirl" over anyone at the moment. Maybe that will change.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

For me it's the darker/more depressing and troubled the better lol.

So I do think I'd enjoy a bit of horror in my games....as long as it's not as frightening as that one game.. amnesia ( http://www.amnesiagame.com/#main ).
I lasted a full 60 seconds into the demo, before pressing smashing the escape button and deleting that evil evil thing from my computer. I was almost ready to burn my computer just in case it'd find its way back to me:p

But I do like the type of horror where you don't see the horror and can only 'assume' it... if that makes sense. It's amazing how worked up your mind can get over a what sounds like a couple of footsteps going down some stairs or a scream.
But once you see it.... the whole element of horror is gone imo.
Sorry for short/slow responses...

RSI sucks lol:p

my stupid blog XD

#16 reira

reira

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Takuma + トシちゃん~! (^ヮ^)

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:46 AM

It's the opposite for me

I'm the type to freak out from watching the trailer for the Grudge, but be okay with films like Saw III - so horror and gore are alright in my opinion XD

I tried to play Kurayami at night (because that's when I usually play my PSP) and the results were NOT PRETTY. The music and the creepily abandoned rooms and that *feeling* of thinking that something could just POP OUT in front of you at any moment- scared me witless. Some people really like that feeling, but it just terrifies me for weeks on end 〜(T▽T〜)(〜T▽T)〜

Though there's a lot less gratuitous-slashing and blood-spilling than in the movies, because most elements of horror in otome games aren't used as a central theme, but more like a feature to deepen the depressing/dark/angsty story line. So that's probably one reason why I don't mind it as much (^▽^")

#17 Ningyo

Ningyo

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:^^;;

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

And I prefer to stay away from anything supernatural, so I wouldn't even think about playing a thriller game.

Thriller doesn't have to have anything to do with the supernatural. It could just be a crazy killer stalking you too :)

As for me, I'm not too sure of horror. Only if others convinced me the story was awesome enough would I read it. The horrifying things should be there to complement the story, not just to be... horror. Yeah.

I don't mind some dark and suspenseful stories.

Posted Image
Creator of otome visual novels and RPG's

#18 topari

topari

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Creepy pasta.
  • Who I fangirl over:too many minor characters to keep track of

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:55 PM

Yes, definitely! The more creepy it is, the more interesting. The only "horror" visual novel targeted at a female audience I've played is the BL game Shingakkou -Noli me tangere-. I don't want "fantasy" horror either (as in, vampires, werewolves, etc). That kind of stuff has been overused way too much in popular culture. Something like Higurashi, maybe. Or maybe the characters could be based on different horror urban legends/myths? I love those the most.

#19 SukunaHikona

SukunaHikona

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, game RPG, action, otome,
  • Who I fangirl over:Kiryuu Zero, Kuran Haruka and Kaname, all the men from heart/clover/joker , Gil from Pandora Hearts, Yoite from Nabari no Ou,

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:45 PM

Well, I really don't like horrors like Fatal Frame or Resident Evil so much (I hate it when I get attacked suddenly by either ghost/zombie). But I definitely choose thriller like Theresia or Kurayami (Both of them on DS, which I hate for it's bad sound). If there is a thriller/puzzle solving game with touching story, and it's otoge, I'll fall in love with it. I still can't forget Theresia's story....

#20 Yoshibb

Yoshibb

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Link from Legend of Zelda

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:29 AM

I can almost deal with American Horror, but Japanese horror? Holy crap, I just watched the finale of Blood-C tonight and I'm surprised I didn't throw up. Goriest, scariest thing I have ever seen (And most of it was blurred out!), and I'm sure that only touches the surface of Japanese Horror. So yes, I'll be staying far away from any otome games with horror in them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 My NeoRomance