#1 caddyalan

caddyalan

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Diana Caprice

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

Shira Oka: Second Chances is a complex, stat-driven dating simulation, written originally in English. A lengthy demo is available. Paid download pre-orders (about $23 US) are being taken for the Windows version on Impulsedriven.com. See http://www.shira-oka...arts-today.html for more details. I expect that the game will soon be available on similar pay-to-download services such as GamersGate and Valve's Steam, and that it will soon be possible to purchase the OS X version through those sites.

Development on Shira Oka began around 2005 or 2006. Okashi Studios, the company creating it, showed character profiles, some background information, and a few trailers up until 2010. They got several well-known English voice actors to perform major characters, and a professional Japanese vocalist to perform opening songs. The company has presented panels and displayed a demo at conventions, but the demo was not offered for download until six months ago.

After playing Tokimemo GS and liking it quite a bit, I'm relatively interested in playing a similar game in English with a male lead. And I have been impressed with the Okashi staff's knowledge of Japanese only games (they've talked intelligently at cons about the Angelique series). But the long development process and the company's history of sparse updates is discouraging.

I willingly paid $20 US for similar indie games such as The Flower Shop, Date Warp, and Spirited Heart, and I found each one enjoyable. So even though purchasing Shira Oka through ImpulseDriven is slightly more expensive and will include mandatory DRM, I'm currently willing to pay for it.

Your thoughts?

#2 ebi0brain

ebi0brain

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:I don't really "fangirl" over anyone at the moment. Maybe that will change.

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

This game doesn't really make me want to go out and buy it:\
Especially at that price. Had it been cheaper, I would've given it some thought.
I'm incredibly, incredibly picky though.

I played the demo up until the part where you get sent back again (and then I played a week or so after that)...but I had to stop playing 'cause it just didn't do anything for me.

Story wise,I can't really put my finger down on why it doesn't appeal to me.
I like time travel stories/going back and changing your destiny etc. Maybe playing "storm lover" a ton has temporarily cured me from the "daily life at high school" thing. So, to be fair, I might give the demo another chance in a couple of months.

Art wise...I wasn't too fond of the art. I'm no master at drawing etc. but sometimes the anatomy seemed to be a bit off (like when Hiroshi turns his head to the right.. it looked off, same goes for the girl with the purple hair in a ponytail, when she turns her head, her eyes seem to be a bit squashed into the face). And the backgrounds were too fuzzy-ish. Plus it's like the characters blend into the background... they don't really pop out.

I did like most of the voices though. They did a good job on that.

I realize they've put a lot of hard work into it (and judging by other reviews, it has a lot of replay value) and it's great that there's someone out there making English visual novels for the masses...
But for a game that's been worked on for about 5 years, I think they could've spent a little more time on the artwork.
Sorry for short/slow responses...

RSI sucks lol:p

my stupid blog XD

#3 tam-timmy-toe

tam-timmy-toe

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Ace, you are always gonna be in my heart (itsumo) T-T (Those who are dead are not dead; just living in my head.... >:D)

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:14 PM

Mm same. Well maybe it's just because it's BG and not GB. I dunno. Can't really deal with being inside male leads' heads. Or chasing after girls and making them blush. It could still be potentially interesting though. Just not my cup of tea. xD
Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 My NeoRomance