#1 Yunii

Yunii

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:hot bishies

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

A topic that me and my friend discuss from time to time is how to play VNs. I usually only play one game at a time, and when I do I play it alot. Sometimes several hours straight.
My friend on the other hand plays different games at the same time and she can keep going with a game for months.
She also plays on different routes at the same time, randomly starting over with a new guy when she feels like it.

I kinda have a problem of not being able to play more then one route. When I finnish the game the first time and see the ending credits I always think "Well, I don't want to read the whole thing all over again, since it took so long to finnish it" so I end up only playing one of all the guys.

I know I miss out on alot of the game, but it feels so tiresome to play the whole thing again with another love interest.

So my question here is, how do you play your visual novels? One game at the time? Do you play different routes at the same time? Do you take breaks from your game not to get bored of it? If you do get bored, do you start on a new game or skip forward?

#2 Vani Jane

Vani Jane

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Anime. Manga. J-Music. French Fries. Bishounen. Books. Writing. Games. Internet. Shotas. Glomping.
  • Who I fangirl over:Himuro Reichii from TMGS1

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:53 PM

...how do you play your visual novels? One game at the time? Do you play different routes at the same time?

I play one game at a time, one route at a time with overflowing save files. (<_<; ) I save too much and usually consume all the save slots, so I stop playing. Make a back-up of the save files. Then I resume playing again. After completing the route of the guy I chose, I'll play for the next guy I like.

Do you take breaks from your game not to get bored of it? If you do get bored, do you start on a new game or skip forward?

No, I almost never take breaks! Sleep/Passing out, school and family-related stuff are the only things that can make me stop playing once I've started playing a game and haven't beaten it yet. If I do however get bored, I'd stop playing and go to sleep to rest my tired eyes. But it won't be long 'till I would want to play the game again. (I just can't stand leaving a game unfinished...)

Once I'm done with the first play through and I play the game all over again, I would skip some boring parts that I experienced in the first play-through.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

|Boku no Burogu|
Posted Image

| FACEBOOK | TUMBLR | TWITTER |

Spoiler

#3 Misha

Misha

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:A lot? 8D
  • Who I fangirl over:もう数え切れぬw

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:33 AM

I never take breaks when playing visual novels. When I don't have enough time to finish a route in one go, usually I resume playing whenever I get the chance to do so. Leaving in the middle of something makes me curious, unless the story is really THAT boring and puts me to sleep.

As for the games, I play one game at a time. Playing multiple games at the same time would make it hard to grasp the story for me. I also complete all routes/guys available. Even when there are some routes that I'm not really interested in, I'll still do it for the sake of getting full completion. Most games have skip functions anyway, so you can always skip things you have already read.

..and if I do get bored of a game, I'd just leave it. Because I know when I start playing a new game, it means that I'd never touch the previous game again. At least for the time being. 8D

Posted Image
あなたの背中追おう、の彼方まで
lj otome twit tumblr

#4 Natsumi♥

Natsumi♥

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:♥ Tsukimori Len, Kaji Aoi, Tsuruga Ren, Yorihisa, Yasuaki, Mamoru Miyano

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

Usually I just set my eyes on one guy, and play through his route once. If I get a bad ending, I'll try again, if I'm in the mood to.

I rarely go for the other guys, so I pretty much just go through the game once :D

Posted Image

#5 Yunii

Yunii

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:48 PM

Don't you feel that's it's boring to play the same thing all over again wih another guy though? >_< I end up holding ctrl down the whole time just to get everyone's CG -_-

#6 Harroe

Harroe

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Yunoki Azuma, all HnK/CnK cast, Jade Curtiss, and Duke(Tales of Vesperia).

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:10 PM

I try to finish every game I start. Sometimes the game is so long that I need a break from it though. When that happens, I will switch to another game for a while, and then resume the other game when I need a break from the one I switched to earlier. But I like to get all the routes and finish a game 100% of the way. Sometimes I will use the skip function if I'm not in the mood to read something that I've already read before, but I always read the new stuff. I try not to buy games where it looks like there is only one route I'll like out of the entire game. With how much those games cost, I want my moneys worth of hours spent on them.
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

My livejournal: Ticking Clocks and Patting Rain
I put my scans, art, and other stuff here.

#7 chemistry

chemistry

♥リラファン

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Interests:リラちゃん♥poupee girl
  • Who I fangirl over:quirky-voice types

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:45 AM

Hmmm, I usually concentrate on one game per console per time frame, although once after a bout of TMGS3 I went to snuggle TMGS2, and then TMGS1 for a while. It's hard to switch modes when fixated on one game. XD

I've rarely gotten bored of a game, because once I start getting into it, I have to stop because the holidays haven ended or schoolwork is picking up. I haven't finished many games as a result. ;(

One way not to get bored with a game which characters have multiple endings is probably to cycle through them. I usually get all the main guys' main endings first, then after a long break from the game, go back to get the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th endings, so it's interesting that way. ^^
Posted Image

Confusing with nonsensical verbosity>>>>
DF: ad hoc spazz

#8 ebi0brain

ebi0brain

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:I don't really "fangirl" over anyone at the moment. Maybe that will change.

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:56 AM

What I do is:
1. Play 1 game, 1 route.
2. Go to another game, play 1 route.
3. Go to another game, play 1 route.
n . Go to another game play 1 route.

and then:
1. Go back to the first game, play 1 route.
2. Go back to the second game, play 1 route.
etc.

I'll usually go for the guys I think I'll hate first (in descending order), so that I'll have to play through the entire game to get the guys I found most interesting:p
Sorry for short/slow responses...

RSI sucks lol:p

my stupid blog XD

#9 Mizutama

Mizutama

Open Otaku

• Hachiyo
  • 320 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Hinoe, Benkei, Tomomori, Yunoki Azuma, Yasuaki, Francis

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:12 PM

lol my habits are horrible, unless the first route of the game hooks me or I fall in love with the art or the music, I'll play one route that I'm interested in, then ditch the game forever or at least ctrl my way through the other routes for the cgs rofl. Otherwise if I really like the game/story or the characters I'll play through the other characters I'm interested in and try to finish the rest, save for the usual lone one that I ctrl through because I really can't bring myself to care about (hi kyle's route in UTM and whatshisfacedudewhoworkswithrin in bloody call). And if the first character I'm interested in isn't available and have to be unlocked, I'd probably skip through the route of the character I need to play through for the one I want, or just read the parts that's sort of interesting and skip the rest.

There are some occasions when I stop playing a game because the prologue was too long (lol quinrose games) or it has a system that confuses me (also lol quinrose and then hanaichi) and I ditch it to play something else only to come back a few months later before I end up marathoning the whole thing to the finish. Unless I really love the game and lag on because I don't want it to end haha so yeah horrible habits /)_(\

Posted Image

-----
Member of:
Posted Image

#10 Yumeshojo

Yumeshojo

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Kanazawa, Yorihisa, Akram, Liz, Tomomori, Clavis, Nyx, Nasetya, Karigane

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:06 PM

I normally just play one game at a time, one route at a time. And if a route has more than one possible ending, I'll get all of them before I move on. I also try to play a game to completion before moving onto a new game, even for characters I don't really like initially. BUT if it's a really long game, or if the games are on different systems, I can play more than one at a time and it doesn't bother me a bit. I've never gotten stories or routes confused if I play more than one. And, again, unless it's long, I try to beat games in one sitting, or stopping just for usual daily stuff. But the moment free time hits, BAM, I'm back at it! I do normally skip stuff I've already read, though, but I don't normally get bored unless I have to restart a lot (I died like a hundred times on Yo-Jin-Bo before I cracked and got a walkthrough lol).
Posted Image

#11 sheepishsheep

sheepishsheep

一生直兄さん押し

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • Interests:Piano, reading manga, gaming, fangaying/fangirling blah blah... Baa baa
  • Who I fangirl over:教えるわけなし(^_^)

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:25 PM

I tend to play a handful of games at the same time, but usually on different platforms unless there's a sudden deluge of games on a certain platform within a period of time (Maybe these companies actually hunt for auspicious dates rofl). I've caught the full-comp virus for someone recently but whether I complete the game or not really depends on its maker, for example, I'd game my brains out over QR or Koei games but almost never over an Otomate game (sorry ^^).

The downside is this 両手に(n +1)花 approach usually takes a lot of time, like H3 original and izayoiki took me 2 years to finish entirely lol. And I haven't even finished Meikyuu :"D
Other than QR and Koei, I rarely feel the consuming urge to get everything unless someone I trust to not bombard me with bad games osusumes something or if it's part of a popular series like TMGS3, but even then, whether it gets completed or not, I dunno what decides that myself = =;; Sometimes games that don't even interest me all that much like D.C. Girl's Symphony miraculously get completed... while games I really like just stay hanging around till I get up some determination XD

About routes, I'm a one-track person, so it's one at a time for me and I almost look at walkthroughs because I have an unfortunate tendency to pick the worst choices available and stumble into bad EDs without fail
After finishing a game, I usually miss it once in a blue cheese moon and go back to relieve some routes (if it's a short PC game) or just open the gallery/scene recollection to relieve it. It's surprisingly a good way to burn time fast. Looking through 4-5 QR game scenes could take 20 min-half an hour already O__O;;

Then there are games I never understood how to play like Ayashi no Miya which I ditched after 2 routes and never went back to because it's gone from my HD~
血を吐くように、必死にフルコンを追いかけたから...
Spoiler

- Supporter of Save Our Bishies and Save Our Seiyuu -
˜†Seiyuu of the day/ week/ month/ year: Nao-nii˜†

#12 Yunii

Yunii

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:10 PM

What about same route different endings? Do you play one route and get the first ending, then directly replay the whole route to get the second ending? Or do you play a new route between then get the second ending for the first guy?

#13 Cloudy

Cloudy

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Shitara Seiji

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:34 AM

Usually when I play, I get addicted to one game and I won't stop until I've finished all the routes I want are done. Whenever I take breaks in the middle of playing one, I get really confused when I go back because I forget what's happening in the game. I also tend to stick to one game at a time too.

I know when I have to do a different route for the same guy, depending on the requirements I could either branch off or just start all over again. Usually if I have to start all over again I leave the skip function on until I get to something new.

#14 mariko85

mariko85

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:im a big fan of anime, otome games, manga books, writing, drawing and listening to japanese music
  • Who I fangirl over:Azuma Yunoki, Kaname Kuran, Megane Katsuya, Hideaki Nakajima, Seizh. Shiki from togainu no chi and many others!

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:08 AM

when ever I buy different games at the sametime, I play them one route for one game and once I finish that route I start on another game but if I just buy one game then I will play it all night till I beat all the endings. Heck I even sometimes dont bother to eat anything when im playing the game until my stomach starts to hurt since its hungry, I even stay up all night to play the game even on days I have to work then I go to work in a bad mood since I didnt get no sleep plus I didnt want to stop playing the game just to go to work or sleep lol. But I only get like that if im playing a very good game that has a great storyline and other cool stuff in it.

#15 Spadey

Spadey

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Hijiri, Moro

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:13 AM

I have a pretty low attention span, so I usually manage to complete only 2 or 3 routes. 1 if there's no walkthrough anywhere because that's just frustrating. If the protagonist has a voice and I like the art, I usually obsess and complete all the routes. I also have a pretty bad habit of skipping through boring parts only to skip something important and end up being lost with what's going on. I usually go for least interesting guy to me first then work my way up to favorite. Though it kind of backfires sometimes when I just can't get through the game anymore because the other routes made me lose interest so I never get to my favorite. The problem isn't really going through it, it's gathering the will power to start up the game.

Posted Image
http://spadey.wordpress.com/

#16 Hazuki

Hazuki

Veteran Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:I can't choose anymore since otome games are getting more popular LOL

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:10 AM

I usually stick to one vn or game at a time it depends on how long it is though.
I usually finish vn fast though...since it's text I have no problem going through all the routes unless it's a character who I'm not attracted to - I might ignore that character's route or skip through the text through the parts where I've been through with the other characters or parts that I deem not interesting enough to pay attention to. LOL

On games...I tend to go from one to another a lot. LOL Especially RPGs which is bad b/c it's easy to forgot what you're suppose to do at that point if you haven't touched it in so long... I'm ashamed to admit this...but I sitll haven't finished Haruka3. I haven't even completed a route because when I learned how to play it...I decided to stop for a bit b/c I didn't know who to go after first. I wanted to go after Saku...but you have to really finish another route first...and I know Liz-sensei, Hakuryuu, and Tomomori you have to after them last...er...I guess not really Liz-sensei though. In Real Rode...I finished Somari and Lukia...I was going to go after Shin but I decided to take a break because I got tired of going through all those dungeons. I went through the Black Prince route first then the White Prince route second.

I'm selling stuff so if you're interested please take a look!

If you want to find more random blabbings of otome games you can look at my livejournal if you want~
I moved...it's called Peaceful Grace.
I've started a new blog at wordpress it's called Reaching Towards You since my LJ is full of my tweets.
If you want to look at pictures you can look at my tumblr nothing special...

The Icon Avatar is from Neskaya.net

#17 CatMuto

CatMuto

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Kijyou, Hikami

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:20 PM

I tend to play one game at a time, sometimes several hours straight. Especially if the game is new and just got delivered to me. If it's a game I never played before, I end up starting a game over 2 or 3 times because I strewed it up the first time around so badly.
Or because I got bored/realized what a jerk a guy is and wanna go for someone else.
I can play TokiMemo GS several times in a row, but I tend to hold L down to skip over the intro monologue. As much as I love hearing Midorikawa telling me he'll lend me a hand to help me up or hear Morita telling me directions to our school, it gets boring after a while. I just wanna get to the game - if I'm bored with a guy, I get half-hearted and continue, because I don't wanna do the route again.

But if it's a guy I like (Madoka~!) I don't mind going after him, sometimes in a row. (Love his kansai-ben~)

C-A

#18 crystalhikari

crystalhikari

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Yunoki Azuma, Ryoma Echizen, Miyanomori brothers (masashi, mamoru, isami), Wilhelm Grimm, Komura Yuuichi

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:58 AM

i play one game, one route at a time and taking breaks when my eyes fell that they can't go any further staring at my PSP screen. and i also usually play with a guide since i really don't like the feeling of having my play time wasted when i get a game over or bad end. though i usually make it to a point to complete a game at 99% or so before starting a new game. after one route i always skip the parts i have seen before trying as much as i could to remember the stuffs that happened in it.

...and life is all about choices...

Soaring Sky, my otome game ranting blog
Listening Stories, my writer's journal

#19 kosetsu

kosetsu

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Mechazawa

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:20 PM

If it's a short enough game, I play all the routes :D If it's a long game, I sorta cheat by saving midway when there's still the chance to switch love interests rather than going back to the beginning to get another route XD
I have a hard time not playing a game obsessively until I finish it. Also, if I don't do try out other routes immediately after finishing the first round, I'll likely never get around to them ;o;

#20 lavendersmell

lavendersmell

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:tsukimori len, azuma yunoki, kaji aoi, kuran kaname

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:32 AM

I would play one route at a time. It is difficult for me to start on another one unless i find it tiring to continue on that route. But no matter what, i would always go back and finish it though it can take a long time before i can actually finish the whole game. I would get the sense of accomplishment once i am done with it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 My NeoRomance