19 replies to this topic

#1 NYORORO

NYORORO

( ≖_ゝ≖ )

• Hachiyo
  • 1,614 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:PAKO.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:49 AM

So while I was flipping through those game magazines, I thought perhaps I should make a pinned thread where people could check the game/character rankings.
I will try to update as much as possible, provided that I have enough spare change to purchase the magazines 8D. So please don't get disappointed if I'm missing a month or two, or PM me asking about them hahaha. In the case that I do skip a month or whatever, well, yeah, that'd mean I don't have enough monies LOL. Come on, college textbooks are expensive!

In case people would like to know which heading goes with what, I've got it translated here:
読者が期待するソフト = Games that the readers are looking forward to
家庭用ハードに移植してほしいPCソフト = PC games that people want to be ported to consoles
読者が好きなキャラクター「乙女ゲーム」 = Favourite character (Otome games)
読者が好きなキャラクター「BLゲーム」 = Favourite character (BL games)
アニメイト Sales Ranking = Animate Sales Ranking (monthly)

(They are the ones applied to the B'sLOG ranking.)
In case you wonder where the votes are coming from, they're through the survey card inserted with the magazine.

Attached File  11cov09.jpg   1.19MB   26 downloadsAttached File  09nov.jpg   1.21MB   35 downloads

Attached File  12cov09.jpg   721.24K   34 downloadsAttached File  09dec.jpg   754.02K   19 downloads

Attached File  01cov.jpg   1014.47K   24 downloadsAttached File  10jan.JPG   1.92MB   18 downloads

Attached File  02cov.jpg   704.08K   22 downloadsAttached File  09feb.jpg   847.42K   11 downloads

Attached File  04cov.jpg   669.9K   16 downloadsAttached File  10april.jpg   1.26MB   10 downloads

Attached File  05cov.jpg   1.25MB   12 downloadsAttached File  10may.jpg   1.28MB   13 downloads

Attached File  06cov.jpg   586.96K   17 downloadsAttached File  10jun1.jpg   580.49K   17 downloadsAttached File  10jun2.jpg   517.55K   14 downloads

April 2010
Attached File  7cov.jpg   460.76K   35 downloadsAttached File  aprranking1.jpg   462.69K   51 downloadsAttached File  aprranking2.jpg   371.06K   49 downloads

May 2010
Attached File  8cov.jpg   469.15K   45 downloadsAttached File  mayranking1.jpg   475.1K   47 downloadsAttached File  mayranking2.jpg   363.13K   49 downloads

June 2010
Attached File  9cov.jpg   447.65K   55 downloadsAttached File  junranking1.jpg   469.44K   49 downloadsAttached File  junranking2.jpg   381.36K   52 downloads

July 2010
Attached File  10cov.jpg   446.24K   56 downloadsAttached File  julranking1.jpg   466.27K   70 downloadsAttached File  julranking2.jpg   402.02K   96 downloads

August 2010
Attached File  11cov.jpg   480.8K   80 downloadsAttached File  augrank1.jpg   467.36K   123 downloadsAttached File  augrank2.jpg   390.88K   102 downloads

Feel free to discuss the ranking!
For example, why you think a certain game/character is always at the top, or maybe even post your own top 10 of each category per month.
Or maybe if you feel analytical, you can write a report analyzing the trends LOL. We won't grade you, but hey, more power to you for doing so haha 8D.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, or if you feel that this is a complete waste of time (for you or me lol), I'd love to know that HAHAHAHAHA.
You can either post there or tell me through PM, whichever is easier for you 8D.

LOL IM ALMOST OUTTA THE OTOGE WORLD, AND IM SLOWLY DRIFTING AWAY FROM THE GAMING WORLD TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 8D
...and this all happened because there isn't an RPG that's as good as Nier hahaha.

Oh right, and join my 1 meal a day club for the lol 8D.
Posted Image
...because the reality is too "real" hahahaha.

Posted Image

#2 chemistry

chemistry

♥リラファン

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Interests:リラちゃん♥poupee girl
  • Who I fangirl over:quirky-voice types

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:22 AM

My simple observation:
Hakuouki tops everything. And Starry Sky series sells very well.

My simple analysis:
Hakuouki & Starry Sky must be very popular.

Question in point:
Is that why Dengeki Girl's Style cycles between featuring Hakuouki and Starry Sky every other issue?! They never seem to cover-feature anything else! I'm really very interested in this because I can only ever manage to get DGS. B's Log sells out FAST!!

Sorry don't play Hakuouki so can't hypothesize why so-and-so character always tops, and my Top 10 ranking per month would be useless because TMGS 3 would fill places 1-10. 8D
Posted Image

Confusing with nonsensical verbosity>>>>
DF: ad hoc spazz

#3 Nika

Nika

borderline spammer.

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Interests:Music, Rpg's, Music, Anime, music, manga, and ummm, Music :D
  • Who I fangirl over:Hihara Kazuki, Himuro Reiichi, Ace, Julius

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

Analysis would be interesting, but probably requires all kinds of supplemental data (release dates and what not. though most things can probably be found online)

If only there were data on export, than I could write my bachelor thesis on it xD <-- I seriously would.

#4 sheepishsheep

sheepishsheep

一生直兄さん押し

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • Interests:Piano, reading manga, gaming, fangaying/fangirling blah blah... Baa baa
  • Who I fangirl over:教えるわけなし(^_^)

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

I have no inkling why everyone and their mums love hakuoki and starry sky all that much...
It's true I played both games (never finished any hakuoki XD) and I can see the visual appeal in both, but perhaps not quite to the extent of voting almost every single character onto the polls. Aside from Chem's observation that DGS heavily covers both, I rather think that it might also have something to do with how Otomate and moneybee sorry, I meant, Honeybee market their products and pander so much to the fans.

Take for example, Hakuoki is on its 4th, no, 5th instalment by now, if I recall correctly, pardon me, I'm not terribly interested in most Otomate games anymore but am still forcibly bombarded by info about their n+1 products coming out this year, and that would be within the short span of barely over 2 years since the original Hakuoki main disk was launched on the PS2 (I was around and I did fangirl but the game bored me. Anyway, Kazama FTW lol).

With the broadcast of Hakuoki's anime and a second season announced(?), manga (the anthologies), the character song CDs and drama CDS(?), the 10000001 products like keychains -okay I admit that I have one too thanks to a nice kitty- you could say that it's got all its media covered. The telly front, the print, the mechandising, the actual games and the many different platforms they are on (PS2, PS3, NDS, PSP etc).

Add heavy advertising courtesy of established otome gamer magazines and presto, you have a commercial success~ (Though Kazuki Yone did make the bishies oh-so-delicious)

While in moneybee's case, I rather think the astrology concept was very attractive considering how integral it is to Japanese culture.
(Attractive concept + Moneybee's previous rep from dramas cd series + 13-cd drama cd series + the largely simple gameplay + choice of software platforms + upcoming anime) x heavy advertising = WIN

lol i dunno if what I say makes sense but that's how I see it. As for the BL polls, the trend is largely the same XD Though is it a bad thing if I find all of the characters to be familiar names? 8D
血を吐くように、必死にフルコンを追いかけたから...
Spoiler

- Supporter of Save Our Bishies and Save Our Seiyuu -
˜†Seiyuu of the day/ week/ month/ year: Nao-nii˜†

#5 Harroe

Harroe

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Yunoki Azuma, all HnK/CnK cast, Jade Curtiss, and Duke(Tales of Vesperia).

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

I was thinking there would be a bit more variety in the popularity polls, but I guess I was wrong.

Well, these polls are interesting so I can't wait to see more. It's nice to know what games people are raving about in Japan. I can't say I understand some of their choices though.

It would be entertaining to do similar polls here and see what happens.
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

My livejournal: Ticking Clocks and Patting Rain
I put my scans, art, and other stuff here.

#6 tam-timmy-toe

tam-timmy-toe

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Ace, you are always gonna be in my heart (itsumo) T-T (Those who are dead are not dead; just living in my head.... >:D)

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

...Why does Hakuoki own TGS?!?!? O.O

IDGI. IJDGI.
Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 NYORORO

NYORORO

( ≖_ゝ≖ )

• Hachiyo
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:28 PM

LOL WOW, THANKS FOR REPLYING, EVERYONE.
I didn't think I'd have people interested in reading about this hahaha.
Well anyway, I've added more previous rankings and their respective cover, so in case you guys have some sort of theory, I guess that'd probably be used as an indicator lol. I swear I'm not turning this into a science lol. It is unfortunate that I don't have March lol, reason being? I forgot, but it probably got something to do with the fact that it's not Hakuouki hahaha.

@Chemistry
LOL thanks for breaking it down lolol.
But you know, what's more interesting is that while Hakuouki and Starry Sky are both popular, B'sLOG only has a page or two on it. Of course it could also be argued that HB prolly made some lol!deal with DGS (or maybe HB just has a better relationship with DGS than B'sLOG), but people are still buying B'sLOG when it "only" has Hakuouki to focus on. When it comes to Hakuouki, both magazines have massive features and "presents" stuffed into the magazine. Then again, it might be the fact that they release monthly while DGS is bi-monthly, and people are probably "dying" to know more each month, so I think this is worth "investigating" lol. And not sure if this helps but it's so lol that you can see for a majority of this year, we've been getting mostly TMGS3 and Hakuouki covers.

Something totally irrelevant but in my case, DGS is always the one being sold out faster than B'sLOG lol.

@Nika
LOL ACTUALLY I THINK YOU CAN GET A MASTERS THESIS OUTTA THIS LOLOL. Cause the amount of data to collect and analyze is too massive for a bachelor's degree hahahaha 8D.

@sheepishsheep
OMG you need to see how the Lucky Dog game did from past rankings that I just posted LOL. It's funny how after a month, it got "topped" by other otome games. I know it's probably because B'sLOG isn't that much of a BL magazine compared to Cool-B but lollllll it's just fun to see the main character topping the BL character section with votes that could rival #4 or #5 on the otome character list.

As for HB and Otomate lollllllll, yes, I concur with you that the advertisements are pretty much what "drives" their success. But srsly, IMO, if it weren't for Kazuki Yone (come on, we know how her art r0x0rs), anime (this is the easiest one to lure in non-gamers), Kazuaki (hey her art r0x0rs too), the concept of SS and the damn viral advertisements on Twitter. Then I doubt they would be as successful as they are today.

@Harroe
Yeah, it'd be interesting to have our own poll here, though I gotta ask the admins how to do accumulate votes so we don't have to do this manually (or whether this is possible lol). Thanks for the idea 8D!

@tam-timmy-toe
Do you mean the game sales? LOL.
If that's what you mean, then it's because of the tokutens they are rushing out at Animate. It usually involves something like eating utensils, or some CD drama, booklets, to the point of cushion sheets with the characters on them hahaha.

LOL IM ALMOST OUTTA THE OTOGE WORLD, AND IM SLOWLY DRIFTING AWAY FROM THE GAMING WORLD TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 8D
...and this all happened because there isn't an RPG that's as good as Nier hahaha.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 sheepishsheep

sheepishsheep

一生直兄さん押し

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • Interests:Piano, reading manga, gaming, fangaying/fangirling blah blah... Baa baa
  • Who I fangirl over:教えるわけなし(^_^)

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:34 AM

LOLOL SHUSH N66, BL GAMERS ARE EVEN RARER THAN OTOME GAMERS (OFFICIALLY 8D)
and srsly I know Kazuki Yone's art is gr8, otherwise I wouldn't have shelled out good money to go buy that artbook of hers out of the gawd knows how many artbooks hakuoki have.
Like you said, B'sLog is an otome gaming magazine after all, but by this line of reasoning, about half of the otome gaming population who could and did vote are BL gamers!? hahaha

The trends are so lol, can be summarized in a few sentences.

Saitou = no. 1, Okita = no. 2, Hijikata = no.3. Otomate usually takes top 5 places for favourite otome characters (thank god they haven't tried to break the BL market 8D).
Konami seems to have pretty good relations with B's Log if the same may be said of Otomate. Coverage for both TMGS3 and Hakuoki seem on par so far in B's Log BUTTTTT hakuoki's been enjoying this for a couple of years even though their storylines are as credible as my not-so-epic lit thesis :"D

One thing I'm a bit surprised at is how Bloody Call stays on the wishlist of games to be ported and its epic fluctuations between first and third place. That and how fast TMGS managed to fall off the top of the radar considering how B's Log pimps it so and how wide the TMGS fanbase is.

I thought SS twitters come after SS honpen games were out around winter or autumn? Or did moneybee have a twitter acct before they started those SS character twitter accts and were doing like koei's doing nau? *bad memory*

On a personal note, very pleased to see Shitara on the poll XD Tachi~♪
血を吐くように、必死にフルコンを追いかけたから...
Spoiler

- Supporter of Save Our Bishies and Save Our Seiyuu -
˜†Seiyuu of the day/ week/ month/ year: Nao-nii˜†

#9 NYORORO

NYORORO

( ≖_ゝ≖ )

• Hachiyo
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

I SUCK AT MATH AND LOGIC BUT LOL
Posted Image
So I think most of the people who bought B'sLOG are prolly like the ones in area shaded in red and purple.

Yeah they came after, but I was referring to their continuing/greater success when they've launched their advertisement campaign on Twitter lol. Though I think all otome game companys copy one another when it comes to their so-called "sales tactics" 8D

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Savvy

Savvy

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:the jerks... as long as they aren't rapists

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:01 PM

Now that's one classy venn diagram.

I'm actually at work right now, and have with me my invaluable notes on how to make a game popular. It says this:

"Interesting themes + effective advertising = success!"

Such insight...

In all seriousness though, I really do hope that Kazuki Yone's art is a big part of Hakuouki's popularity. Then maybe other game makers will see that art is kind of a big deal for these games. Which would hopefully mean less of those "WFT IS WRONG WITH THEIR ANATOMY" moments.

#11 litewolf

litewolf

Nyu~

• Miko
  • 2,964 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Seems I reached the point where they are too many ...

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:27 PM

In all seriousness though, I really do hope that Kazuki Yone's art is a big part of Hakuouki's popularity.

Well, I really think it is. At least partially. What follow is my experience during my trip in Japan don't kill me 8D
Spoiler

Support your bishie, join today the Save Our Bishies (SOB).

And while you're at it, Save Our Seiyuu (SOS).

Posted Image

Selling some goods and I accept offers

#12 Nika

Nika

borderline spammer.

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Interests:Music, Rpg's, Music, Anime, music, manga, and ummm, Music :D
  • Who I fangirl over:Hihara Kazuki, Himuro Reiichi, Ace, Julius

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:33 PM

@Nyoro: I could always focus on a small aspect of the whole for a bachelor thesis.

Hmmm, International Relations --> Soft Power --> Export of Culture --> Datimg sim/ Otome games. THIS COULD WORK.

#13 r4nd0m

r4nd0m

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Interests:Seiyuu, mysteries, everything unusual, anything weird and whatever interests me :D
  • Who I fangirl over:Too many...

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:29 AM

Whoa~ Shitara-senpai is the only Tokimemo GS' non-main chara who made it into the poll XD while Hakuoki's charas are simply everywhere...

Posted Image
「心臓が止まって, 脳の働きが止まる.
死ぬって, ただそれだけの事だろ.」 アキラ

Please take a look if you have time >///<
http://seihinata.deviantart.com/

#14 Cloudy

Cloudy

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Shitara Seiji

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:15 AM

Sorry don't play Hakuouki so can't hypothesize why so-and-so character always tops, and my Top 10 ranking per month would be useless because TMGS 3 would fill places 1-10. 8D

I'd say this is me as well? I never really understood why Hakuiki was so popular but I haven't played Hakuoki and I've heard a lot people tell me that it was boring or not that great (then again there are people who LOVED the game as well). I mean my friends only bought the artbook because they loved Kazuki Yone's art, not because of the game or anything.

Other than that it kind of looks like the same characters in the polls but with different rankings.

#15 akuram

akuram

TACHIBANA'S LOVE.TRUFAX111

• Hachiyo
  • 651 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:YKW

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:02 AM

I'm glad to see Shitara~~~ *________* *the only moment that I appreciate the ranking on B'slog* I really do hope that there would be a port of Kimi to Wonder Kiss! Their world is really interesting and the characters too. Too bad as of now it's just a cellphone game
It was a surprise for me to see that those charas that top in the BL category are the main characters. Didn't know Keita is that well loved

@Cloudy: Don't worry, you're not alone. I'm one of those people who never played Hakuouki okay I was at the prologue but didn't continue and I'm one of those people who would get the artbooks for the love of KAZUKI YONE. And then the anime illustrations were done by Nakajima Atsuko (another gawdly artist) which is sometimes I'm tempted to get some of the Hakuouki stuffs even though I'm not a fan of the series

Anyway, since I saw someone mentioning about writing something about the polls I scanned some of the missing rankings for this year 8D I have no idea how N66 named the issues since when I looked up in the published date it doesn't reflect it's like 2 months advance. Oh well whatever- I just posted the issues as 2010 and 2009 hahaha IOW I STILL CAN'T FOLLOW LOL

When buying from the ff. sites through these links:
CD JAPAN | Yes Asia | Play Asia
MNR earns HP.
Posted Image
Written by NOT YOURS TRULY

#16 Mizutama

Mizutama

Open Otaku

• Hachiyo
  • 320 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Hinoe, Benkei, Tomomori, Yunoki Azuma, Yasuaki, Francis

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:11 PM

...I just realized I forgot to scan the cover but here's this month's rankings for whoever's interested \o\

http://img836.images...g=img0005xs.jpg

Posted Image

-----
Member of:
Posted Image

#17 Hazuki

Hazuki

Veteran Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:I can't choose anymore since otome games are getting more popular LOL

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:26 PM

Thanks for the scan Mizutama...
You know...this month it's the first time a Starry☆Sky character has been up on that ranking! I'm so not surprised that Suzuya is there LOL I wonder Miyaji some day make it up there since he's the other most popular character in that series LOL

I was surprised to see that Kuro to Kin was already listed as one of the games to be ported...well, Yura's art is great so I guess it is understandable but I wonder what they will do to make it all ages if it does get ported. ^^;

I'm selling stuff so if you're interested please take a look!

If you want to find more random blabbings of otome games you can look at my livejournal if you want~
I moved...it's called Peaceful Grace.
I've started a new blog at wordpress it's called Reaching Towards You since my LJ is full of my tweets.
If you want to look at pictures you can look at my tumblr nothing special...

The Icon Avatar is from Neskaya.net

#18 chromesque

chromesque

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:20 AM

lol I was under the impression Suzuya wasn't popular among folks... so I'm surprised Miyaji isn't there instead.

I'm baffled as to how /all/ of the Hakuouki guys made it on there.... I know it's popular but wow. :lol:

#19 Uzaya

Uzaya

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Orihara Izaya, Sebastian Michaelis, Hibari Kyoya

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:34 AM

My blog has B'sLog newest release but my scanner broke down, so I took a picture with my iphone.
I dunno whether it would help.. haha
http://jacqksrants.b...nuary-2011.html

#20 NYORORO

NYORORO

( ≖_ゝ≖ )

• Hachiyo
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:00 AM

Thanks Uzaya, my scanner is broken as well so I can't scan this month's ranking either hahaha 8D;

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 My NeoRomance