• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 ayla

ayla

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Video games, anime, manga, music, making plushies, writing, a good story, trying new foods, procrastinating, stuff like Romance of the Three Kingdoms XD
  • Who I fangirl over:Too many!

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:25 AM

Was browsing through RPGFan.com and came across a news article that Aksys Games is doing a survey about Otome games! I'm not sure what that means but in the survey they listed a few of the big name Idea Factory games (as well as Princess Debut and Yo-Jin-Bo).

Here's the link for those curious!

Aksys Game otome game survey

#2 litewolf

litewolf

Nyu~

• Miko
  • 2,964 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Seems I reached the point where they are too many ...

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:11 AM

they listed only Idea Factory games (as well as Princess Debut and Yo-Jin-Bo).

Fixed.

Anyway, while it sounds nice the survey is obviously screwed with his answers so I won't do it I'm not even their target so it won't matter

Support your bishie, join today the Save Our Bishies (SOB).

And while you're at it, Save Our Seiyuu (SOS).

Posted Image

Selling some goods and I accept offers

#3 Mizutama

Mizutama

Open Otaku

• Hachiyo
  • 320 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Hinoe, Benkei, Tomomori, Yunoki Azuma, Yasuaki, Francis

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:18 AM

already went to vote, and pretty much suggested the lesser known quinrose games + tokimemo and neoromance series in the familiar with section \o\

Posted Image

-----
Member of:
Posted Image

#4 chemistry

chemistry

♥リラファン

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Interests:リラちゃん♥poupee girl
  • Who I fangirl over:quirky-voice types

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:28 AM

I went to check it out because of litewolf's very intriguing statement. ^^ I'm not their target group too, and I'm least familiar with IdeaFactory games (not much interaction, lose interest very very quickly).

What's this 'Aksys' by the way? 8D
Posted Image

Confusing with nonsensical verbosity>>>>
DF: ad hoc spazz

#5 kuribo

kuribo

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:XD

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

I think Aksys is a company that localize Japanese games? They localized some popular games, like BlazBlue. Its interesting they are making a survey for otome games...looks like companies are showing slight interest in bringing otome games to the West. But to be honest, I still don't think it will work out so well.
Please click me! :3

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Nao-KK

Nao-KK

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:It will take me 3 days and 2 nights to name them all.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:48 PM

They also localized Record of Agarest War. Strange that they made an otome game survey, always thought they were more into localizing fighter games from Arc System Works or anything with...busty ladies. I went ahead and did the survey, but really, I'm not expecting much to come from it anyway.

#7 Harroe

Harroe

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Yunoki Azuma, all HnK/CnK cast, Jade Curtiss, and Duke(Tales of Vesperia).

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:55 PM

While I'd probably play Idea Factory games if they were available overseas, I'm not that interested in playing otome games based on anime/manga. Their original titles might be kind of fun though. When I took the survey, I just wrote down all the otome games I liked playing in the 'other' option on one of the questions. Maybe they'll get some consideration too.
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

My livejournal: Ticking Clocks and Patting Rain
I put my scans, art, and other stuff here.

#8 tam-timmy-toe

tam-timmy-toe

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Ace, you are always gonna be in my heart (itsumo) T-T (Those who are dead are not dead; just living in my head.... >:D)

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:41 PM

Anyway, while it sounds nice the survey is obviously screwed with his answers so I won't do it I'm not even their target so it won't matter

Wait how do you know whether you're their target group or not?

(Though yeah. Guy obviously didn't put much thought into making the survey as unbiased as possible. 'sigh')
Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 caddyalan

caddyalan

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Diana Caprice

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:31 PM

Since all the untranslated games mentioned in the survey were from Idea Factory, that would seem to indicate that Aksys Games is considering working with them.

already went to vote, and pretty much suggested the lesser known quinrose games + tokimemo and neoromance series in the familiar with section \o\

I mentioned Tokimemo as well. And I *almost* mentioned RE: Alistair.

That said, I made sure to indicate that I'm interested in professional translations. Especially the ones which are available on PSP, since those can be sold through the Playstation Store. (There's not much market for PS2 games in English these days, the DS is fading fast, and few PSP games on UMD sell well.)

If you're interested in supporting this possible alliance of Aksys and Idea Factory, then be sure to join their forum and create constructive posts. Also, I recommend sending polite emails to Aksys indicating your interest.

#10 Cloudy

Cloudy

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Shitara Seiji

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:07 AM

Regardless of whether or not it's biased towards Idea Factory games I still think it's good that they're having a survey asking about otome games. If Aksys sees enough interest a game COULD be localized. In the best possible situation where a localized otome game does well then more can come out.

I doubt that much will happen but you never know.

#11 litewolf

litewolf

Nyu~

• Miko
  • 2,964 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:09 AM

Wait how do you know whether you're their target group or not?

(Though yeah. Guy obviously didn't put much thought into making the survey as unbiased as possible. 'sigh')

I'm European and they're US based, meaning I'm not part of their market. AND I'M KNOWN FOR NOT LIKING IF GAMES OUTSIDE 2-3 TITLES AHAHAHAH

Regardless of the bias, a good survey should never allow answers that contradict each other as it will screw the results. And can we please get rid of those "I don't care option" that says all and nothing at the same time? :/

P.S. I take that Kakera refers to Hiiro no Kakera

Posted Image

#12 Yumeshojo

Yumeshojo

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Kanazawa, Yorihisa, Akram, Liz, Tomomori, Clavis, Nyx, Nasetya, Karigane

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

I took the survey, but when they asked what other games I was familiar with, I blanked. *sigh* Now I feel dumb. There's so many I could have listed...

I really don't see the whole market coming over, but maybe they'll test the waters with a few games? I was actually hoping Shojo Beat, when it began, would kinda help encourage otome gaming, since they had La Corda and Harutoki.
Posted Image

#13 Hazuki

Hazuki

Veteran Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:I can't choose anymore since otome games are getting more popular LOL

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:46 PM

I took the survey...since I'm part of the target market LOL
I regret though in the other category in the games I was familiar with I could have listed a whole lot more *sigh* I tried to list some D3 Publisher games but I only listed Bakumatsu Renka Shinsengumi and Vitamin X & Z when I could have listed more because I do like their games...
I was so surprised that list was only Otomate...I was surprised that they didn't list any Neo Romance games but like the others I mentioned them in the other category too.

I'm selling stuff so if you're interested please take a look!

If you want to find more random blabbings of otome games you can look at my livejournal if you want~
I moved...it's called Peaceful Grace.
I've started a new blog at wordpress it's called Reaching Towards You since my LJ is full of my tweets.
If you want to look at pictures you can look at my tumblr nothing special...

The Icon Avatar is from Neskaya.net

#14 Savvy

Savvy

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:the jerks... as long as they aren't rapists

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:24 PM

What a nice surprise! What I gather from this survey is that our friends at Idea Factory couldn't get the funding to do their own translation efforts but they're still shopping around for an American publisher. And even if the Otomate games aren't the best, they're a step in the right direction right? We won't see any Neo-Romance games from third-party publishers because Koei has their own American branch and has a tight reign on their franchises. But if they see another publisher pulling off some nice success, they might follow suit. /overt-optimism

BlazBlue has a pretty rabid fanbase, and though obviously the main appeal of the game is the fighting, the main game actually takes you through a visual novel between matches. I wonder if that influenced their perception on visual novel marketability in the Americas. Though I bought the Aksys version of BlazBlue, and you know what I really liked? The ability to switch between Japanese and English voices. That would be a really nice feature to have in an otome game.

I'm European and they're US based, meaning I'm not part of their market.

Yeah but success in North America could lead to a marketing attempt in Europe. First the US, then... THE WORLD!

#15 litewolf

litewolf

Nyu~

• Miko
  • 2,964 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

Yeah but success in North America could lead to a marketing attempt in Europe. First the US, then... THE WORLD!

By all means yes XD But I think in this case, having sincere answers from their market is for the best, even with the very numbers of partecipants and type of answers since they are in the initial phase ^^; That's one of the reasons I called myself out.

Posted Image

#16 tam-timmy-toe

tam-timmy-toe

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Ace, you are always gonna be in my heart (itsumo) T-T (Those who are dead are not dead; just living in my head.... >:D)

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:04 PM

What a nice surprise! What I gather from this survey is that our friends at Idea Factory couldn't get the funding to do their own translation efforts but they're still shopping around for an American publisher. And even if the Otomate games aren't the best, they're a step in the right direction right? We won't see any Neo-Romance games from third-party publishers because Koei has their own American branch and has a tight reign on their franchises. But if they see another publisher pulling off some nice success, they might follow suit. /overt-optimism

BlazBlue has a pretty rabid fanbase, and though obviously the main appeal of the game is the fighting, the main game actually takes you through a visual novel between matches. I wonder if that influenced their perception on visual novel marketability in the Americas. Though I bought the Aksys version of BlazBlue, and you know what I really liked? The ability to switch between Japanese and English voices. That would be a really nice feature to have in an otome game.

Hmm well I guess it'd be really cool if this actually turned out into... Something. Anything.

Still trying to keep my expectations low right now though since nothing has even been proposed yet. (Cross my fingers and hope more people will go take the survey.)
Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#17 Nao-KK

Nao-KK

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:It will take me 3 days and 2 nights to name them all.

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:13 AM

Aksys recently put up Part 2 for Otome Game survey:

http://www.aksysgames.com/2010/10/07/we-know-you-love-surveys/

I didn't think they were seriously taking otome games into consideration, but hey, as long as there's a possibility. Though, I'm worried about the quality of the localization, hopefully they won't be lazy and botch it up like with Record of Agarest where they just edit some minor stuff from the European localization. :\

Spoiler

NOW GO TAKE THE SURVEY. GO GO GO! 8D

#18 Savvy

Savvy

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:the jerks... as long as they aren't rapists

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:01 AM

Holy cow might we actually have a chance at this? I must spread the word!

[Edit]: Wait, I just realized we had two Idea Factory surveys here and that never really went anywhere. I can't get my hopes up. Must... be... strong...

#19 tegami

tegami

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:the guys of Kuranoa/Cry No More

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:56 AM

XD I laughed at that too.

Personally I wouldn't care about the prices too much since I'm already paying lots due to import. xP

Otome games, well visual novels in general, have a rather small following here in general so I wouldn't get my hopes up. But if we want them we'll have to get a lot of people to support it. Tell your friends, neighbors, random people on the streets! XD

Even Square Enix is entering the market so maybe it's possible.

#20 Hazuki

Hazuki

Veteran Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:I can't choose anymore since otome games are getting more popular LOL

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:41 AM

Oh wow...that was fast. I'm not getting my hopes up. (I almost wrote that in the suggestions box.)

@tegami - they are?! Where did you find that news? Well, I can't be that surprised since their art is pretty ^^;

I'm selling stuff so if you're interested please take a look!

If you want to find more random blabbings of otome games you can look at my livejournal if you want~
I moved...it's called Peaceful Grace.
I've started a new blog at wordpress it's called Reaching Towards You since my LJ is full of my tweets.
If you want to look at pictures you can look at my tumblr nothing special...

The Icon Avatar is from Neskaya.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 My NeoRomance