#1 Savvy

Savvy

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:the jerks... as long as they aren't rapists

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

Considering the incredible showing Nintendo had at E3 this year it seemed like a good time for this topic. Fragile Dreams came out earlier this year, and I've been watching it with interest out of the corner of my eye whenever I browse the local game store. Mario Galaxy 2 has been taking up most of my time lately, pure concentrated gameplay at its finest.

But the main game I wanted to talk about is Xenoblade (no story relation to other Xeno-games). It came out in Japan this past week, and instantly shot up to number one on the sales charts. It got a 9/9/9/9 review from Famitsu, and the game's director has one hell of a resume. It's from Tetsuya Takahashi, guy behind Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Baten Kaitos (one of my all time favorites). The game world looks fantastic, as it seems civilized life has sprung up from the corpses of two dead gods linked in final combat. The dev team also made a concentrated effort to avoid super long cutscenes like in Xenosaga, and tried to keep the level grinding at a minimum. Can you tell I'm excited?

Only problem is, it has no release date for North America, and wasn't shown at all at E3 this year. That means there's a possibility it won't be released outside of Japan. With its great review scores and sales exceeding expectations, I'm hoping that's not the case. So I'm wondering if anybody's played this yet, or has any other Wii games they'd like to talk about, since there seemed to be something for everyone at E3 this year.

#2 Tamarei

Tamarei

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Saeki Teru, Saito, Peter White

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

i'm a nintendo fan all the way, playing galaxy 2 now too. this year's e3 is pretty good, nintendo being the biggest surprise. the 3ds seems fantastic!

as for wii games, this year we've had no more heroes 2, tatsunoko vs capcom, fragile dreams, trauma team, endless ocean 2, sin & punishment 2 and monster hunter. i'm definitely getting the upcoming arc rise fantasia and metroid other m. as for the japanese releases, i like xenoblade's premise and story, but i prefer the last story's art. i'm looking forward to both of them and the US version of tales of graces, if ever. zelda and kirby epic yarn are on top of my wishlist too~!! wii is having a great year!

i played fragile dreams. i love the story, setting and characters. i loathe the combat and creepiness of it though. they really did well in the lonely atmosphere and i cried a few times. i gave up finishing the game as combat pissed me off. watched the ending via youtube.

#3 Savvy

Savvy

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:the jerks... as long as they aren't rapists

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

Mario Galaxy 2 is definitely one of the most fun games I've played in a while, but I'm amazed at how much harder it is than the first one! The last star is so friggin impossible I gave up on it. No More Heroes 2 and Endless Ocean 2 are on my backlog of, "I have to buy those games at some point" list. Fragile Dreams too, since I've managed to get through some downright awful gameplay for the sake of a good story.

Kirby's Epic Yarn was probably my favorite surprise game of the show. I've always enjoyed the Kirby franchise, and I love the new art style. It's so great seeing companies go for a really different look, and it looks like they're tying it into the gameplay too. Last Story is another big release I've been looking forward to, and the concept art looks amazing. Now I just hope they release some in game footage at some point. The 3DS is just... mind boggling. Super powerful, no-glasses 3D, and that library of games! If they re-release Ocarina of Time for it with updated graphics I would be a very happy Savvy.

Speaking of Zelda... Yay Skyward Sword! A lot of people are complaining that it's more colorful and not dark like Twilight Princess was, but I think it's a great direction. It seems like a happy medium between Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, and some of the content they've shown really does look like an impressionist painting. I really liked Twilight Princess, but I dunno, it felt like something was... missing. It's nearly impossible to describe what was wrong since it was such a good game though. But Skyward Sword sounds like the game is going back to a more Link to the Past type of narrative. I've got really high hopes for this game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 My NeoRomance