#1 tegami

tegami

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:the guys of Kuranoa/Cry No More

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:52 PM

Finally got around to finishing Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor. This game has multiple endings like most other SMT game. And since it's SMT it will involve some grinding. But I highly recommend it for people who want to get into the story. Although it may remind people of The World Ends With You or Subarashiki kono sekai, I found it completely different. Once you go through one route, the game allows you to save and port all chara+levels to the new game. Which means, you can simply sweep through the game to get a different end.
(The artist of Yozakura Quartet, Suzuhito Yasuda, did the character design in case anyone wanted to know.)

Story (without giving away to much):
You are the protagonist who is goes to meet up with your two friends, Atsuro and Yuzu. You then receive a comp (which looks like a DS) that allows you to SUMMON DEMONS. Not only that, you are stuck in a lockdown in Tokyo with demons.

The story is very engaging, and each route reveals more about the overall story. It's RPG+Visual Novel, but it's not another Lux Pain.

The way to level may take a while to get around though.

As for demons, you must buy them through auction. Yes, demons sell themselves to become your servant (XP). Another way to get demons is to combine them. Luckily there's a SEARCH system that allows you to see what demon you can get (play around with it). TIP: Fusing demons may be more beneficial, since you can give them abilities/stats that buying through auctioning doesn't.

The characters are likable, nothing too deep, but no one you want to strangle. (at least for me)

My Rating: 9/10 ...because I don't give perfect scores and there's only one/two save slot. XP

OFFICIAL WEBSITE (english): http://www.atlus.com/devilsurvivor

[Feel free to delete this topic if it's against the rules or something.]

#2 Hazuki

Hazuki

Veteran Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:I can't choose anymore since otome games are getting more popular LOL

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

I started playing this game and it's interesting...
you weren't kidding when you said this game is a grinder... ^^;
I do like the characters so far...
I had trouble naming the hero because I didn't know what to name him LOL

I'm selling stuff so if you're interested please take a look!

If you want to find more random blabbings of otome games you can look at my livejournal if you want~
I moved...it's called Peaceful Grace.
I've started a new blog at wordpress it's called Reaching Towards You since my LJ is full of my tweets.
If you want to look at pictures you can look at my tumblr nothing special...

The Icon Avatar is from Neskaya.net

#3 Faery

Faery

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Clavis, Genichirou Sanada , Renji Yanagi, Hanazawa Rui, Yunoki

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:02 AM

I did finish this game some time ago already, since i am a great fan of all the shin megami tensei games.

This game is not really difficult, but like the other games of the serie, the key is to find the right demons with the right skills for each of the boss.

But it is a good game with a good story, as usually.
Posted Image

#4 Xeiran

Xeiran

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Location:On some island in the middle of nowhere surrounded by Bishounen~
  • Who I fangirl over:Do I have to choose?~

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:33 AM

I've been planning on playing it since I bought it, but I was waiting for a guide to pop up first. When it comes to shin megami games, I never play them without guides. Usually too many choices and bad endings to risk it. So how is the plot compared to the others in the series?
Posted Image
~Sig made by Ayane~

Posted Image

#5 Mizutama

Mizutama

Open Otaku

• Hachiyo
  • 320 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Hinoe, Benkei, Tomomori, Yunoki Azuma, Yasuaki, Francis

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:01 AM

MegaTen games = my love and IMO this game's plot doesn't disappoint. Plus I could actually finish it despite the fact that I'm usually too lazy to play SRPGs lol

If you're looking for a guide, someone made one that'll help you open the path for all 6 ending routes in one playthrough over here.

Posted Image

-----
Member of:
Posted Image

#6 Xeiran

Xeiran

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Location:On some island in the middle of nowhere surrounded by Bishounen~
  • Who I fangirl over:Do I have to choose?~

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:12 PM

@Mizutama
Thank you very much for the guide. Now I can start playing^^
Posted Image
~Sig made by Ayane~

Posted Image

#7 SukunaHikona

SukunaHikona

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, game RPG, action, otome,
  • Who I fangirl over:Kiryuu Zero, Kuran Haruka and Kaname, all the men from heart/clover/joker , Gil from Pandora Hearts, Yoite from Nabari no Ou,

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:55 AM

It's great~ I always love Megaten series, and this one is really good. I just played 3 chapter and I love the story.

I wonder if only me feel this way, but do you think that the main chara looked like Arisato Minato (Persona 3 main character)?

#8 gothicat

gothicat

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Boris Julius

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

SukunaHikona: I also felt the same way about the MC, and I've known other people that felt the same way. But I love the MC more than I did Minato.

This is actually one of my favourite Megaten games, and I've played them all except the original two. I love the story as always and the fact that it goes back to Nocturne, in the way that you follow a person and not an ideal on its own. It was also really wonderful to see some of the old designs for the demons back, like for example, the original angel instead of the usual bondage angel. As always it's a difficult game, based almost entirely on grinding and using the right skills, but it's very rewarding to beat it. I felt mostly everything in this game was done right, the battle system, the auctions, the story branches, the characters, etc. The only thing I had a beef with was the fact that you could assign a demon any skill, it took a lot out of the all "using the right demons for their skills" element in the other games. But this was definitely worth the shipping I had to pay (damn you Europe!). Too bad Lucifer didn't make an appearance in a human form, I was curious about the way this artist would interpret him as.

Also, I really loved the incestuous feel I got from Nayoa. Maybe I'm just yayoi obsessed, but I know I wasn't the only one. And Atsuro was such a great character (<3 nerds like him), one of my favorites out of the whole series.

#9 SukunaHikona

SukunaHikona

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Kiryuu Zero, Kuran Haruka and Kaname, all the men from heart/clover/joker , Gil from Pandora Hearts, Yoite from Nabari no Ou,

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:56 AM

I still not finished the game until now, so I still didn't know much about Naoya and MC, but I think they're cool.

I hate Midori, she is an annoying damsel-in-stress, want to help people but in the end we have to help her if we don't want game over (I also hate Keisuke, but until now Midori is number one).

Atsuro is my second favorite character after MC, he is an interesting character, cheerful and reliable (I usually give him fast demon, so I always use him to help townspeople).

I also want to play other MegaTen series, but I can't find much of them in my town (and I don't have time to play, MegaTen is interesting but too long to finished). Maybe I'll finished Devil Survivor first before I search for another MegaTen game.

#10 gothicat

gothicat

Open Otaku

• Open Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Boris Julius

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:28 AM

Why don't you get the other megaten DS game, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey (if you're in europe, again you have to import it)? There is also a bunch of games of ps2 you might be able to find:
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne/Lucifers Call(in Europe)
Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 1&2
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner 2 Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon (not in Europe)
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3 or FES(enchanced version) & Persona 4

The Persona series, especially persona 4, is really popular so I'm sure you can find at least. I personally have all these games, and each offers some differences in gameplay to make it fresh. Overall the series are very good, but they're all serious time wasters due to their difficulty. I have 200 hours just on Nocturne alone, and the other games don't get much shorter.
Keisuke has a back story that really makes you feel for him, and kind of understand why he did the things he did. Not that it justifies them, but you can at least see his point and see his human side, not the monster he became. Midori also has a back story, but it's really lame. I agree that she's annoying, but I kind of forgave her because she was the youngest and therefore most naive of them all. I think Atsuro has the best ending for human kind, I also loved Naoya's ending but if I had been the MC I would've gone with Atsuro. Amane and her angel are really just annoying, angels keep being the self righteous selfish beings they always are, and they're even worst in other games. I'm definitely chaos aligned, if only because Lucifer does show some human side (like for example, asking for your help even when you aren't chaos aligned because he wants to save his demons from Satan's judgment) and not only the ruler side of him, whereas with God it's always like "side with me or I'll erase mankind" and he almost does in Shin Megami Tensei II.

#11 SukunaHikona

SukunaHikona

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:31 AM

I already played Persona 3 FES and 4. I also already have Raidou Kuzunoha 1 and 2. But I can't find the older Megaten, except persona original (PSP).If I have to buy them outside my country, the price will be too high, I still not work so impossible for me to ask my parents that much money. Well, I must satisfied myself with the game I already have instead of searching another one.

I still not finishing the game so I don't know much about Keisuke, Midori, Amane, Naoya or Atsuro. I think at least Amane can defend herself and help the MC while Midori just said that she'll save people but at the end get helped.
Spoiler

Beside the story, the gameplay itself is very good (and very hard). I usually got bored easily when playing strategy RPG, but when combined with turn-based, it become more interesting. And I also like auction system. What I don't like is that this game doesn't have demon compendium and just has one save.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 My NeoRomance