IPBoard Styles©Fisana

Photo

How do you like your role playing setup?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is better? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Out of these, which is the best way for an RP to run?

1. one thread per story (15 votes [68.18%])

Percentage of vote: 68.18%

2. a different thread for each area (ex. one for the library, one for the school, one for the garden, etc.) (6 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

3. something different (please explain in your post) (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Stout Teapot

Stout Teapot

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Anime, Manga, Reading, Sleeping, Drawing, Writing, Video Editing, Sports, Cute things, Astronomy, Astrology, Different Cultures, Weird Random facts, Story telling, Legends/Folktales/Fairy Tales/etc
  • Who I fangirl over:too many for a woman my age to be proud of...

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:01 PM

I was wondering in which way do you prefer your role playing? do you like it when everything realted to one story is joined together in one thread, or would you rather have it seperated and catagorized depending on areas?

Depending on which members are more comfortable with will determine the basic setup of the RP gallery. Even if you don't mind either, please vote for the one you like best.
It's only love if it lasts forever.
Ordinary love is over-rated. True love is under-rated.
There's no better drug than falling in love.

"I say you're weak, so I can always be there to protect you.
I say you're clumsy, so I can catch you when you fall.
I say you're annoying, because I can never get you off my mind.
I say I don't like you, because I love you."

Love is easy - life is hard.

Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint and he will have to touch it to be sure.

#2 aznkeo

aznkeo

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

Since this isn't a whole forum dedicated to an RP, I feel that there shouldn't be like a whole bunch of separate areas since well I have and still am an administrator at another RP we have a whole forum where people can just post and everything which keeps it all organized. However because of the fact that this isn't a whole forum I sort of don't think we should have separate sections like one for the library, main entrance hall, ect.

But I also don't feel that one thread per story is really organized either. I'm just assuming you mean like one story per thread. I sort of feel for different events or whatnot that there should be separate threads. It's sort of what you mean by one thread per story...but I'm not really clear on what you mean on that. Maybe I should have just clicked the first choice then...hm. Well anyways, that and if I'm saying anything confusing :D don't mind to ask me to clarify it. I'm just used to having a bigger playing field with all my RPs.

That and how are you setting this RP up? I mean are you going to make separate sections in this part of the forum for each fandom like Haruka, Angelique, or La Corda?

Posted Image
Hihara Senpai needs moar L O V E
Otome Blog - White Butterfly and I'm Selling Stuff here~

#3 Stout Teapot

Stout Teapot

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Anime, Manga, Reading, Sleeping, Drawing, Writing, Video Editing, Sports, Cute things, Astronomy, Astrology, Different Cultures, Weird Random facts, Story telling, Legends/Folktales/Fairy Tales/etc

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:20 PM

Well I don't know if members want one big one run by me or if they want to have several running simultaneously. I've done both the big RPs and the smaller ones contained in one thread. I've just done more of the smaller ones since those tend to have a definate ending that the members work towards as opposed to when all the members just quit or stop showing up. Originally I had thought that people were interested in multiple RPs a different kinds - not just one huge Corda RP, so I was leaning towards the seperate thread theory, but I may be getting ahead of myself also.

Right off the bat though, to make sub-forums, I'm afraid only Kaho can do that. I asked litewolf how I could do that in order to make a 'sign-up' sub forum, but she informed me only Kaho can. It may not be needed later depending on how many members we get, but for now I'd rather not have to ask Kaho to make a lot of sub-sections for our gallery.

Also when I mean one thread per story, I mean if you think of a story like, everything that is related to that story, except for signing up, goes into the one thread.

Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint and he will have to touch it to be sure.

#4 sonnakai

sonnakai

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Playing video games, reading, learning about different cultures/languages, looking good, dancing, writing, being a geek, and of course - obsessing over hot guys.
  • Who I fangirl over:Man harems please me. So, all.

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:43 PM

Mind if I add in my two cents? I've been roleplaying for around seven years and I've almost always worked with the "one story, one thread" method. The ones where there are separate threads for every area (in my experience) always end up muddled and just confuse the members. As long as there's someone serving as a GM for each plot, I don't see any problems arising. For example, if there's a Corda thread and we need to move people from a school setting to a concert hall or such, the lead GM would take the role of the principal or some other NPC and mention in character, "Will all students participating in the music competition please make their way toward the concert hall?" Then whatever side stories are going on could be put on hold for the main plot to progress, since all the characters would end up in the same area.

It could just be me, but I've never had much trouble moving things along that way. Then again, I intensely dislike working with any stories that have over six players, tops. I'm not sure how popular roleplaying might become around here, but I know a lot of people would probably want to play female OC's as well as an original guy, so ending up with 12+ characters per plot could definitely complicate things. I haven't worked with the format extensively, but in that case, maybe having different areas would prevent it all from getting unorganized.

#5 aznkeo

aznkeo

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:48 PM

Stout_Teapot - Oh, alright I understand what you mean then I think then I prefer the separate threads then for the RP. As for whether people want it run by you or multiple...it really doesn't matter with me for that, so I can't really say anything about that.

Posted Image

#6 Stout Teapot

Stout Teapot

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:02 PM

now that i think about it I probably should have added that option of multiple or one huge RP. @_@

sonnakai- sure np, anyone can post and add in. it's a discussion after all. as for the matter of how many people inside a storyline, well I'd like to see how many members are interested first. I still think that at a minimum, there should be a GM and 3 other members - anyless and it's more or less just an AIM chat.

#7 sonnakai

sonnakai

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Playing video games, reading, learning about different cultures/languages, looking good, dancing, writing, being a geek, and of course - obsessing over hot guys.

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:53 AM

Well, that depends on how much the writers are into roleplaying. I normally do 1 x 1's and yet I average about 1500 words per reply. XD I'm sure most of the ladies around here are more casual writers though, so I think having a four member minimum is a good idea. Still, with two characters a piece that's already eight people they'll be writing for, and dealing with all the interaction... like I said, I'm not used to dealing with large groups of people in the same plot, so maybe with shorter posts it'll end up being manageable. We could gauge the interest for whatever everyone wants to do, then determine how to proceed afterwards. I'm sure if members are interested enough they'll find a way to make it work regardless of how much is going on within one thread. There could be a way to easily categorize where the characters are, like placing a heading at the top of each post so people browsing could easily figure out what to reply to.

Like:

The Gardens @ Blah High School
Talking here, interaction, la dee dah...

So if someone is dealing with one particular scene they won't have trouble determining who they need to respond to. But that would only be if we had too many different conversations taking place.

#8 litewolf

litewolf

Nyu~

• Miko
  • 2,964 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:Seems I reached the point where they are too many ...

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:36 AM

I'm still considering my partecipation (maybe as a member if the rythm isn't too fast ^^; ) but I wanted to throw my 2 cents.

I think you should start as 1 story = 1 topic. I don't think there will be many partecipants in the beginning and as sonnakai headlines can be used to mark the actions in the different places.
If two characters are having a conversation alone (like at the telephone or in the middle of nothingness) they can "play" the conversation by themselves through PMs first, and then post the results, for example.

I don't really see the point of sub-areas for the time being, since as I said, I don't expect many partecipants for the first rounds...
To make clear the fandoms (or original stories) the name of the threads could be like:
[Corda] The start of a new romance
[Haruka] The ryuujin no miko
[Original] A not so ordinary day
etc
(NB: titles thrown at random)

Support your bishie, join today the Save Our Bishies (SOB).

And while you're at it, Save Our Seiyuu (SOS).

Posted Image

Selling some goods and I accept offers

#9 lilinnocence

lilinnocence

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, games, reading, writing, RPing etc.
  • Who I fangirl over:Too many. Way too many.

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:45 AM

I'm for one story per thread for now.

I think eventually there might be more people joining this. I'm in right now but I'm new to this all :] I'm excited though.

I agree that too many people might make things confusing though. :\

#10 Hikari-Rekka

Hikari-Rekka

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, drawing, reading, etc.
  • Who I fangirl over:Italy Veneziano, Seychelles, Tenshi Hinanawi, etc.

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:41 AM

Even though I'm not really an expert at RP, I think one story per thread would work...
Icon credit goes to Leafy Icons at Livejournal.

#11 Hayato

Hayato

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Other than the Neo-Romance games, I like BL [games], other visual novels, RPGs (most notably the Summon Night series, Black/Matrix series... whatever else Flight-Plan can throw at me, I guess. XD Oh, and Final Fantasy Tactics and Tales of Rebirth. ;-;~&lt;3)<br /><br /><br />Also.<br /><br />Toward the Terra is an awesome manga/anime. &lt;333
  • Who I fangirl over:Olivie~ <3

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:11 AM

It's been years since I last RPed on a forum, but I've always done it in one story per thread as well. As for players, well, more than four was somewhat normal, and sometimes people had multiple characters. It doesn't get too confusing as long as everyone knows all the characters and what they're doing, though. I suppose I typically wouldn't recommend any big games to newer players. :0

That being said, I'm also used to a much lower word limit. xD;; The official rule on the forum I was at was 500-800 words per post, but that always varied. I think anything less than 300 would be pushing it, but-- everyone knows that higher word minimums means less interest in an rp. XD;

「ヒトではなく天使ではなく
悪魔ではない<存在>
その名はカイン...」

itanshacain @ tp | nisa forums

hayato @ atlus forums

fayore @ livejournal

#12 Ningyo

Ningyo

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Who I fangirl over:^^;;

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

The times I have RP'ed, it has always been with one thread, one story. And as sonnakai said, there is usually someone guiding the story along (a GM) so it doesn't spin out of control or run out of steam.

Posted Image
Creator of otome visual novels and RPG's

#13 Stout Teapot

Stout Teapot

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:51 AM

one story per thread seems to be the best way then since it has the most votes and most people are familiar/comfortable with it.

i can work on getting the stories and everything else running now since there have been some votes. thank you for participating!

<33

#14 aznkeo

aznkeo

Queen Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:34 AM

Yay~ xD;; I've been waiting for the character applications haha, so I can't wait.

Posted Image

#15 Stout Teapot

Stout Teapot

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:11 AM

Yay~ xD;; I've been waiting for the character applications haha, so I can't wait.

haha great. i didn't mean for it to take long, but i actually had all the rules and forms setup until i realized that I may have confused some people on the formats of the RP Gallery.

I'll get them up really soon. Promise. ^_^ I'll have to do it on my father's pc since my laptop hard drive crashed and I'm waiting on new parts (hence I haven't been able to log in for a few days). I'll need to rewrite them since my laptop is more or less gone (again), but that is what weekends are for right? I remember everything I wanted to do and the main points so you guys shouldn't be waiting much longer. thanks for your patience! <3

#16 The Last Vampire

The Last Vampire

aka The Gilgamesh Girl

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:Drooling over hot Blondes (especially if they're ebil >), raven-haired autistic genius detectives, silver-haired bloodsuckers and soccer players who can cook and play the Piano. Besides that, being a hopeless Otaku, Gaming, YouTubing, Film Making, storytelling, listening to Music, taking walks, swimming, bringing the world back the way it was...
  • Who I fangirl over:Tsuchiura Ryotaro, Gilgamesh, L Lawliet, Zero Kiryuu, Solomon Goldsmith, Meier Link, Tamaki

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:56 AM

*Pops in*
Sorry for being a retard ignorant about those things but I've never played Character Role playing in a Forum before and I was wondering how does it work exactly? How are we supposed to proceed and what's expected from each player?
Also, do you have to be a player of the Game yourself or just being familiar with its story/characters is enough to participate? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions since I don't know what I'm talking about...
I've voted one story per thread, based on common sense.

The Last Vampire. Leader of the Tsuchiura Resistance Secret Group [T.R.S.G]
and the Blonde Ebil Bishies League [B.E.B.L]

#17 sonnakai

sonnakai

Closet Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:29 AM

Crap, I hate it when I accidentally hit capslock and I start tALKING lIKE DIS.

Anyway. Welcome back Teapot! I'm sorry to hear about your computer crashing; that's terrible. Don't stress yourself and rush to get everything up if it's a hassle.

Vampire - Do you like writing stories? If so you probably already have a good idea of how to roleplay. ; D Basically it's like an interactive story, where instead of you controlling all the characters, the setting, etc, you get to play one (sometimes more) character(s) and interact with other people who have also taken on different roles. Hence "roleplaying". There's also a less "serious" type of roleplaying where you would use *'s or :'s and the like for actions, but I think most prefer the "novel style" way of going about things.

Roleplaying in a Nutshell:

Spoiler

#18 The Last Vampire

The Last Vampire

aka The Gilgamesh Girl

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:Drooling over hot Blondes (especially if they're ebil >), raven-haired autistic genius detectives, silver-haired bloodsuckers and soccer players who can cook and play the Piano. Besides that, being a hopeless Otaku, Gaming, YouTubing, Film Making, storytelling, listening to Music, taking walks, swimming, bringing the world back the way it was...
  • Who I fangirl over:Tsuchiura Ryotaro, Gilgamesh, L Lawliet, Zero Kiryuu, Solomon Goldsmith, Meier Link, Tamaki

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:21 PM

@ Sonnakai: Thank you so much!!!
Yes, I definitely love to write stories and characters I like and don't worry about me creating a perfectly boring stereotyped chara.
But does it have to be a OC I need to write about? Or can I take over a chara already existing in the Game/story?

#19 Stout Teapot

Stout Teapot

Open Otaku

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:46 AM

@ Sonnakai: Thank you so much!!!
Yes, I definitely love to write stories and characters I like and don't worry about me creating a perfectly boring stereotyped chara.
But does it have to be a OC I need to write about? Or can I take over a chara already existing in the Game/story?

Don't worry, I'll explain how to sign up and make a character sheet. ^_^
I'm about 95% sure the first story will be Corda based since that was what most people were interested in from the start. When you role play you can be either an already made character or an OC, depending on what the GM will allow. And don't worry about boring characters, since I'll make it so that nobody is boring. hehehe. =)

#20 The Last Vampire

The Last Vampire

aka The Gilgamesh Girl

• Queen Otaku
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:44 AM

Don't worry, I'll explain how to sign up and make a character sheet. ^_^
I'm about 95% sure the first story will be Corda based since that was what most people were interested in from the start. When you role play you can be either an already made character or an OC, depending on what the GM will allow.

Great! Thank you! I feel more comfortable with the idea now knowing you'll guide us through it...
And I'm glad there will be a Corda story since it's the only Otome Game's plot I know well enough to role play with. XXD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 My NeoRomance